Chapter 28: Sacrifice for the Kingdom

~ו×~

~ו×~

You haven't realized that you fell asleep crying. You only have woken up when you hear dogs barking, horses on the move and men talking. It's pitch black and your lids dragging into your eyes didn't help. Why are there guards and watchdogs patroling?

You crawl out of the small tree and starts dusting off the dried leaves that got sticked to your hair. Before you could even start to walk, you hear boots thumping your direction. Strong arms pulled you in for a tight hug you have ever felt. You were about to push whoever it is when the person spoke.

"Where in the fucking world have you been?" Jungkook growls in your ear.

Hand fisting your hair and the skirt of your dress.

"Your highness," you were too stunned to even say his name.

He lets you go at arm's reach and starts pushing back your hair away from your face in search of any injury.

"Are you okay?" He asks as he searches you.

The sparkle in his eyes and the outline of his face is perfectly accentuated by the moon's light.

"I am. What's happening?" You ask him.

He cups your face and looks directly in your eyes.

"I thought I lost you," he whispers under his breath which you didn't hear.

"Woman, it's already past midnight," he spoke gently but you know he's pissed.

"Oh my god, I fell asleep. I am so sorry," you scramble and frantically looks around.

What in the actual hell. You were in the middle of an exsistential crises and you just carelessly fell asleep in the garden!

Jungkook releases a loud sigh and let's go of your hand before whistling loud, calling for his men. The lost of contact made your heart ache. Without realizing what you're doing, you reached for his hand while he's looking at the direction where the guards should show up.

Jungkook slowly turns his head to you then drops his eyes to your hand holding his. You heart aches, your eyes burns. You didn't want the king, nor the youngest prince.

You're yearning for the one you're holding unto.

Jungkook

"You found her?" The king's voice was heard.

Torches starts to lighten the pathway when Jungkook pulls his hand away from you very quickly. And then the cold engulfed you again. You could only look at the back of his hand. Your body itches to hold him, hug him, feel his warmth but you stopped yourself.

The general bows to Taehyung. "Yes your majesty," he confirms and steps aside.

Taehyung unmounts from his horse and starts running towards you, blanket in his hands. With one full swing of his arms, you're covered with warm blanket. The king hugs you tight and kisses your forehead. His lips lingered in the same spot and runs his hand down your hair.

"Disappear like that again and I will marry you right now," he warns but his voice is still gentle as ever.

"I'm so sorry your majesty. I fell asleep under the tree," you embarassingly said.

Taehyung chuckles dearly and kisses your forehead once more. He drapes his arm around your shoulder and starts to guide you to his horse. He lifts you up into the horse's back and mounted right after.

"Thank you general," Taehyung says before leaving.

"You're welcome your majesty," Jungkook curtly answers.

"Hyah," he commands his horse and starts clicking his tongue to guide it.

The horse starts to move and so does the guards behind him. Jungkook just stayed there and watch everyone leave. His knees starts to go weak and before he could start walking to his horse, he let himself fall to the ground. All the adrenaline leaving his sytem.

His eyes are blank as he stares up at the moon. Jungkook was so scared when Eli alerted him that you haven't gone back since supper. He was the first one to leave and search and then Eli alerted the king who followed immediately.

Jungkook's mind made so many scenarious in his head. Bad ones and never the silly accident you made.

He chuckles to himself when he remembered you saying you fell asleep accidentally. But he saw your eyes, how red they were up close. He can see how swollen they were. Not only today but since he started ignoring you.

He saw how you masked your pain. How your eyes gives off everything. Especially when you saw him with Ella at the pavilion. Jungkook wasn't even surprised that Taehyung offered you marriage but he was surprised that he said it sooner than he thought. The king knows your true identity, Jungkook doesn't. Taehyung made sure to keep it a secret until you are ready to introduce yourself.

Jungkook could tell. By the way you reached out to his hand.

"Why am I doing this?" He murmurs and laughs at himself.

He knew exactly what he was feeling.

"Why does it have to be you?" He continues his monologue.

He knew exactly why he's hurting now.

"Why does it have to be my brothers?"

He balls his fists and helps himself up.

He thought bringing Ella was the right thing to do. But him seeing your eyes so swollen made him weak. Like he was punched in the gut several times.

The way his stomach churns whenever he sees you with the king. The way his mood shifts when he sees you just rounding a corner at random times.

It all makes sense to him. Because in his mind and heart, he is yours.

He walks to his horse and mounts it. He makes his leave and lets his horse gallop across the gardens and into the palace's barn.

His grip on the horse's bridle gets tighter and tighter.

"You will get back in like you're not affected. You need to do this for the king," he encourages himself.

The king has chosen you not only for him but also for his kingdom.

Even then, in his heart, he yearns for you strongly that it's starting to rip his heart to pieces.

•••

Edited

Please don't forget to vote and share. Also, please follow me here on Wattpad and stay updated for chapter uploads and new books.

-Haeun🦋