Eureka

Alfred settled into the slow rhythm of the town. Spent most of his days lending a helping hand to everyone in town. That consisted of repairing roofs, painting the houses, re-shoeing the horses, etc. He wasn't getting paid, no sir. He refused whatever meager sum they offered. All he wanted was to live here in peace.

Unfortunately for Alfred, peace never lasted long for him. Things were bound to show up. Alfred was resting on the porch, smoking his pipe when Canty came galloping up the hill on his horse. Dust flying and Alfred coughing, "D@mnit Canty!"

"You won't be sayin that long, son!" he said gleefully, jumping off of his horse and reaching into his saddlebags to grab handfuls of silver ore and shoved a chunk into Al's hand.

"Silver." Alfred said solemnly.

Canty gave a whoop of joy which brought many out of their homes to see what he was yelling about, "SILVER! SILVER!"

Everyone was instantly clambering around him asking questions and crowding him and Al, trying to get a look at the rock.

"Where'd 'ya find it?!"

"Are you sure it's silver?!"

"How big was the vein?!"

So, on and so forth they clambered. Alfred smiled and handed the silver back to Canty before returning inside of the mayor's office.

The mayor was rushing down the stairs, "What's going on Al?"

"Canty's found some silver and we'll never see a lick of peace here again." Alfred grumbled.

The mayor laughed, "Perhaps a little life here is what we need."

Alfred sighed again, he was happy for them. This would bring prosperity for everyone here, yet he had seen this go wrong so many times. It was only a matter of time before word got out. Then would come fortune seekers and carpetbaggers, all intent on sucking every last dime out of this once quaint town. Then some carpetbagger would swindle everyone with legalize contracts and gunmen.

And then Alfred would have to move on. He was going to anyhow, but he liked it here. The blue sky, the mountains and deserts were comforting. Margaret and the mayor restored a bit of his faith in humanity with their kindness and gratitude. The townsfolk were kind and obliging. It felt normal here.

"Alfred?" Margaret called.

"Yes ma'am..." he said looking out at the chaos going on outside.

"You don't seem to like that they found silver?" She said, her confusion apparent.

Alfred feeling that he ought to at least warn someone, and Margaret was deserving as any, "It won't bring anything good..."

"I disagree. It is a chance at a better life for everyone here!"

He turned from the door, "It is only a matter of time before some slick in a suit or a gaggle of ruffians think they ought to have more than their share. Those seeking to get rich quickly always attract trouble. Wherever money goes, goes someone trying to get a hold of it."

She thought for a moment, "I suppose you have a point, but that's what the laws are for. Sheriff Kippler will keep it in order. So no need to worry young man." She smiled before going outside to accompany her husband. There was celebration for them to have.

Alfred went to pack his bags, he couldn't stand to see their dreams go up in smoke. They were so naïve. He'd seen it happen in Texas. He'd seen how the 'law' could be bent to those with money and influence. He looked out the window to see Sheriff Kippler talking with the mayor. The sheriff was a good man, rooted in his morals, but one man alone couldn't stop the tidal wave of people and problems that was about to crash over here and wipe away Pot's junction.

He threw his bags over his shoulder and went down the stairs. Seeing most everyone in the living room he smiled awkwardly. There was no easy way to say this, "I thank you all for taking care of me, but I feel that I must be moving on." Did that sound heartless? No. There was no other way to say it.

The mayor gave a look of understanding, "No need to thank us son. We understand."

It was an awkward situation but he gave a genuine smile, "Till we meet again." and waved as he went out the door.

"Don't forget about us now!" Margaret called.

"Thank you for lending me your luck!" Canty yelled.

Alfred rode out of the town praying that they're luck would be different than all the other boomtowns he had been through.

He traveled silently till he reached the next town but his mind was never at rest. He had found a hole in the wall to stay for a while, siting in the back of a saloon. How long before everyone knew about pot's junction? Right now there was no word of silver, so they were safe. He stumbled out of the bar as the sun began to set. He kept his head down as he passed the sheriffs office. On the wall was a poster of him. Shit. He had hoped that had blew over by now, but guess not considering there was 5,000 dollars missing. He had grown a beard, so maybe that would confuse enough people looking for a baby faced criminal. He'd tried to grow a beard for decades, but one finally came in, making him look in his 20s instead of some teen. That he was grateful for.

Still, the sheriff gave him a sidelong look before looking away as he passed. Shit. Pot's Junction was far enough away from everything that he wasn't in trouble. Maybe he should go back? They needed someone to look out for them, and he needed a place to hide out. Call it mutual benefaction. Begrudgingly he put together his plan.

First, things first they were going to need some supplies to get started, and conveniently, he had to get rid of the evidence from the stage coach.

In pots junction, the mayor was busy trying to get a government surveyor out here to establish boundaries when he heard a rumbling in the distance. He looked up to see a cloud of dust coming up the ridge. He got up quickly, was it a dust storm?

He squinted to see the young man he had fished out of the desert leading a wagon train towards the town. The mayor raised a brow, the boy had made it clear he wanted nothing to do with the silver mining. It was odd considering most young men sought fame and fortune, but this boy was different somehow.

Liberty trotted up to the porch and Alfred dipped his hat in greeting, "I know what I said Mr. Mayor, yet I couldn't just let ya'll do all this alone. If yu'll have me, I'd be glad to lend a helpin' hand."

The mayor looked a bit shocked but looked around al and saw three wagons full of timber, nails, axes, dynamite, riffles, shot, food, etc. Alfred noticing his stare smiled, "This is my thanks for saving my life."

The mayor looked shocked at where he had got the money for all that. He had a pretty good idea but dismissed it.