"What you doing?" I croaked.
"I'm making you a list."
"A list?"
"A list of places—I know you love a list. You're stressed, and you're not able to think straight. So I'm doing it for you. That's what I'm here for." She smiled, moving up to let me sit beside her.
"This is—thank you."
"I spoke to your mum, she's coming in the morning. I hope that's okay?"
"I wasn't sure if she'd want to."
"She does. She wasn't sure if you'd want her to either."

Leah knew; she knew that I was struggling with the 'mother-daughter wedding dress shopping trips without the mother-daughter side.

"I don't deserve you." I whispered.
"I'd do anything for you, Soph. Anything."

I left the following day, armed with the long-day snacks that Leah had packed into my bag before I left the house and waiting patiently at arrivals for my mum. Then I heard it.

"Auntieeeeee Sophieeeeeeee!"
"Liv?" I gasped.
"Hi!" She jumped into my arms.
"What're you doing here?" I chuckled, smiling at my mum.
"Dresses, shoes, and jewellery. Who better to give an honest opinion than cheeky chops?" Mum chuckled.

As we made our way towards the car, I texted Leah to tell her about the surprise.

Sophie
Liv is here!

Leah
I know :)

Sophie
You organised this too?

Leah
Anything, Soph. Remember?

Sophie
I love you.

Leah
I love you. See you soon x

The first dress I tried on was a maybe from Mum, and this could work from me. I looked to Liv for her opinion. She scanned her eyes up and down before screwing her face up.

"You look really like Granny in that." She said with disgust.
"I do?"
"Yeah. Kinda old and kinda - well - if you like it, I guess."

Thanks, Liv.

The next shop had just one dress that was a possibility; none of us were overly convinced, but all of us knew I had to find something today. Mum wasn't so keen, and I was far from happy with it, but nonetheless, we asked for Liv's opinion again.

"It would be nice if it didn't have those arms, and maybe if it didn't have the pattern thing. Oh, and also if it was like - green." She shrugged.
"That's a no." I chuckled.

Thanks again, Liv.

Four hours later, in the final shop on the list, we came across thee dress. It was slim-fitting, had lace arms, and just the right amount of train on the end of it to be eloquent but not too flamboyant. Please say you both like it I thought as I turned to pull the curtain back. Mum's eyes immediately filled with tears as almost all her teeth went on display through her grin. Liv stood quietly, her eyes travelling from the bottom to the top.

"Liv?" I whispered.

She took a few steps closer, tucking her sticky fingers into her pockets, well aware that the shop owner would panic that she might touch something after consuming sweets. She did a full 360 around my figure, taking in all of the features of the dress, before closing one eye for a better view.

"Well?" I asked again, awkwardly chuckling.
"I think..." She cocked her head to one side.
"Mhmm?"
"I think Leah will think you are the most beautiful person in the world when she sees you. I think you are." Liv smiled, bringing a tear to my eye.
"I think you are too." Mum said through her tears.

Liv was sworn to secrecy before we got back to the house. Mum offering to get a hotel was likely out of politeness, but it did make me wonder if she was still slightly uncomfortable about all of this. Leah embraced her in a hug when we arrived and was then obviously attacked by Liv, who always acted like it had been five years since the last time they had been together.