The Toy Store

A few moments later, Toby was sniffing at the ground, in the street. The small group of mice were seated on his back with Basil in front, followed by Lena, then Olivia, and lastly Dawson. Suddenly, Toby let out a howl and began to run in one direction.

"The thrill of the hunt, eh, Dawson? Lena?" Basil called back to his two companions. 

"Detective Ashwyn!" Lena corrected as she clung to Basil's waist while Olivia clung to hers, looking much more excited.

Basil looked down at the black-haired mouse clinging to him while her gaze stared forward, trying to figure out where they were headed. This was the closest she had ever been. Her grip was tight from the speed at which they were travelling but Basil didn't find it uncomfortable. He actually...liked it.

Meanwhile, Dawson was desperately clinging to Toby's tail, as he had been thrown back due to the speed, and gave a nervous chuckle, "Q-q-quite!"

"Oh-hoo-hoo. Our peg-legged quarry can't be far now."

...

Inside a toy store, Fidget was removing uniforms from toy soldiers. He stuffed them into a sack and reached into his wing pocket for the list and a pencil.

"Get the following. Tools, check. I got tools. Gears, double check. I got gears. Girl." He checked that but quickly erased it, stating, "No, didn't get girl. Uniforms. I got plenty of uniforms!"

He chuckled to himself but was startled as Toby howled outside.

"Oh no, oh no. I gotta hide! I gotta hide! Ooh, I gotta hide!" 

Fidget grabbed the remaining hats from the toy soldiers and stuffed them into his bag. He then jumped on top of and over a couple of toys, going over to the shadows to hide., not noticing that he dropped the list.

...

Back outside, Basil jumped off of Toby's muzzle onto the window ledge of the toy store.

"Splendid job, Toby!"

Olivia was standing on Toby's muzzle and held out her arms towards Basil, who gave her a look of annoyance, but held out his arms for her anyway. She jumped and he caught her, quickly setting her down and nudging her forward.

"Oh yeah," Lena drawled out, as she slowly walked down the bridge of Toby's nose, "I especially loved the part where I nearly flew off his back."

Out of spite, Toby huffed his nose, making Lena lose her footing and she fell off. Luckily, she had been close to the window ledge and Basil immediately reached out and brought her close. She bumped into his chest and stared up at him, flustered but fine. They each stared into each others eyes. His black clashing against her green. They were so close to one another that their noses were almost touching. The moment was...nice.

Until Basil ruined it.

"Always sweeping you off your feet, hey, Lena?"

She glared, pushing him off her and immediately corrected him, "Detective Ashwyn, to you!" 

Though, as she stomped off, the blush forming on her face seemed to contradict her harsh tone, which she was fortunate that Basil couldn't see. Though, the same went for Basil as well.

Toby began to growl but Lena didn't bother to look back at him. He was probably growling at poor Dawson anyway.

"Now Toby, sit!" Basil commanded but remained standing. 

Basil marched back down the window still and stood in front of his dog, speaking more strictly this time.

"Toby, sit."