MYSTERY SINGER

NUNEW’S POV

I’ve always been different, instead of playing cars and balls with the boys I preferred playing girl game with our neighborhood girls when I was a little boy, and now that I’m 18, I always hangout with my girl friends. I also sing but I’m not so confident with my voice, although my friends always says that my voice is so beautiful but for me I’m not that good. But it is my dream to become a professional singer one day.

Even though almost all my friends are girls, I also have a male best friend named Zee and he lives down the road from my house. Zee and I go to the same university but since he’s two grades above me, we only hang out after school. With his dark hair and light eyes, he’s one of the hottest and most popular boys at our university. I’ve had a crush on him for years now but I know he’ll never like me that way. In school, no one knows we’re friend and I’d like to keep it that way, at least, then, his female admires will not find a reason to attack me in the hallways. On the other hand, I am already pretty unpopular in school ever since I accidentally spilled juice on Janis’s prom dress, the entire cheerleading squad has had it out for me. Well, I didn’t trip on purpose, I’ve just always been a bit clumsy.

This year was going to be different though. This year I planned to change. Now, that I’m a freshman I think it’s time for me to get a boyfriend. So today was my first day of school and I immediately get up in bed, go shower and picked out a super cute yet sexy back-to-school outfit. I even applied a little bit make up on my face. In fact, with my pink lips and long eyelashes, not to mention my super beautiful outfit, I looked unrecognizable. Well, that was the plan.

The first person who saw me was Zee as he was picking me up from school, but his reaction was not what I expected. “Whoa, what are you wearing?” Zee ask me.

“Nothing, just a simple back-to-school outfit.” I said.

Zee gave me an angry look that had me squirming, then, looked ahead and continue driving. He refused to talk to me during the entire trip. Even though my mood is not good because Zee did not talk to me but the rest of the day was a perfect. Nearly every girl wanted to know where I bought my white crop top and pink cardigan, and white high waist jeans, and nearly every boy wanted my number, even the ones who were already in relationships, and by the end of the day, I had a date with Joss. Joss was a part on the soccer team and super hot guy in our university. He promised to pick me up from school tomorrow, even though he lived an hour away from my house. As our first day of school has ended I told Zee about Joss on our ride back from home and I could tell that he was struggling to say something, “Do you really like him?” Zee suddenly ask me.

Nunew: I don’t know, maybe I could if I tried, I guess? I just really wanted to become popular in school now. You know that I’m not popular in school for too long.

Zee: What if I told you that you’re perfect the way you are?

“You know that’s not true, Zee. Because if that’s the case, why am I invisible to you in school?” I said and Zee was silent. He did not even say goodbye when he dropped me off.

That evening, Joss and I went out for pizza. “You’re different from others that I know. They always order a salad and say they’re dieting or something. It’s so much more fun to go out with a person who eats.” Joss said that to me and I just smiled at him.

Soon, Joss started dropping me off and picking me up from school. Unlike Zee, he still continue pretending not to know me in university. Apart from the awkward glances, Zee and I stopped being friends. I’m not going to lie, I missed him. I miss playing video games with him and chatting with him until we fell asleep, but maybe I had never meant anything to him because he let our friendship end so easily. It hurts, but I kept my feeling to myself. Soon, Joss asked me to prom. At first I was hesitant to say yes because I feel like it’s better if he go there with girl but he said that he only go in the prom if I am his date so I said “yes”. I spent a long time getting ready and spent all my money finding a beautiful outfit.