3 | Lost Keys and Grandma's Wrestling Career

Start from the beginning

So this is where he gets it from. I must admit I'm glad anyway, that this is his actual house. I got a bit worried earlier when he was upturning the whole garden like a thief.

She glared at him. "How many times do I have to remind you, it's under the rug."

"Ohh right...the rug." Everett looked back at her rather sheepishly.

The lady turned to me then as if just realizing my presence.

"This is Clementine, I met him at the cafe," Everett chimed in. "He said he would help me bake."

"Well good luck to you, Clementine, good luck indeed," the lady said darkly before sailing away.

Ominous.

But from what I knew about Everett so far, I had a feeling I was going to need it.

Everett half-led, half-dragged me inside into a spacious kitchen. It had an eclectic design with a mint green curved fridge and a sunny yellow bar counter in the middle of the room. Plaid rugs thrown about gave it a cosy feel, as did the mismatched mugs and bright clutter.

"So, what are you planning to bake?" I asked.

"Oh, I don't plan," Everett said breezily. "I just scroll through recipe websites until I find one with an exciting story."

"A...story?"

"Yeah, you know, like those long unrelated stories that you get before the recipe starts," he explained. As if that would answer any of my questions.

"Are you trying to tell me," I slowly started, "that you decide which recipe to try...by reading the random story—that's written there to keep you on the websites for longer, for ad revenue purposes?"

"Well, of course...dear Clementine, dear simple Clementine. The writers of these recipes put a lot of work into their stories, pouring the very essence of their being into them." Everett shook his head in a dramatic show of disappointment. "How dare you think you can bake someone's pumpkin pie without first understanding their soul?"

I couldn't help but smile. "Ah, I see. So the backstory is a key ingredient in your baking process then."

"Yes! Yes, you get it" He smiled so wide that it lit up every inch of the room. No, I decided, every inch of the world. "Understanding Grandma's career in wrestling is, actually, the first ingredient to a good pineapple upside-down."

"Because we gotta flip the cake with the same finesse with which Grandma flipped her rivals in the ring?" I joked.

"You know what, Clementine? I like you."

I blinked, taken off-guard, but Everett had already turned around.

I don't think he meant it like that anyway.

A/n: hey there! If you like Sapphic Gothic Horror, you might enjoy this book by August!

When a series of paranormal murders threaten the student population of Melliford Academy, aspiring dropout Des Winchester must team up with straight-laced (and unfairly attractive) top student Exie Quinnell to stop the murderer before it claims th...

When a series of paranormal murders threaten the student population of Melliford Academy, aspiring dropout Des Winchester must team up with straight-laced (and unfairly attractive) top student Exie Quinnell to stop the murderer before it claims them all.

Click right here to view his profile —> SmokeAndOranges