Summertime gay panic

Start from the beginning

And then their moment, their perfect little moment, with warm sun beating down on them and the clear blue sky filled with birdsong, was shattered.

"Oh my gosh," a sickeningly familiar voice said, with a tone of what could have been shock or revulsion, depending on how you looked at it. The girls flung themselves apart, both scrambling to be as far away from the other as possible.

Wednesday could still feel her skin tingling where Enid had been touching it, when she looked up into the stunned eyes of one of her younger brothers.

"You two– you were– I–" Pusley's mouth hung open in shock, his eyes darting back and forth between the two girls sitting on the porch. Enid's hair was a mess, sticking up in all directions and tangled in places. Wednesday wasn't faring much better, her shirt wrinkled and her face flushed deeper than she thought was possible. She pushed herself to her feet, stomped over to her brother, and slammed him against the awning's support post.

"If you so much as say a word about what you just saw to anyone," she threatened, her voice low and menacing, "I will tear out your trachea with my bare hands, do you understand me?"

Pugsly simply nodded, his eyes wide.

"DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?"

"Yes, yes, I understand!" he whimpered, ducking out of her viselike grip using a method he had devised from years of Wednesday's punishments.

Wednesday let go of him and he scampered off like a dog with its tail between its legs. She turned back to her girlfriend, who quite fairly was disgruntled that she hadn't been able to finish on a good note.

"I should continue my novel," Wednesday hummed, pulling the typewriter back over to herself. Enid's face dropped but she nodded, understanding that her girlfriend was probably pretty shaken up.

After a long silence, Wednesday grimaced. "He's going to use that as blackmail. I'm better off just coming out now, that or killing myself. If I do either of those things, at least I won't get in trouble for keeping secrets. And on the plus side, if I do the latter, I can blame Pugsley."

"No no no, you are absolutely one hundred percent not killing yourself." Enid pushed herself up to her feet, and actually stomped to get her point across. "Coming out... that's up to you. If you feel ready, I'll be right there by your side."

Wednesday stood, picking up her typewriter and brushing the faintest whisper of a kiss across Enid's lips. "I know."

~~~~

Wednesday had her braid between her teeth, and she was anxiously gnawing at the hair tie. She had barricaded herself in her room, with the blackout shades drawn. The only light in the space was that of a flickering candle on her desk, held securely by a skeleton hand, bits of dried, flakey blood still clinging to the snow white bone. Wax dripped down into a puddle on the wooden surface, but she paid it no mind. All of her focus was on Viper.

Or at least, she wanted all her focus to be on Viper.

Frustratingly, or however else you want to look at it, her focus was entirely on Enid, and the look Pugsley had given them, and the look she imagined her parents giving her when she told them the real reason she'd wanted Enid to come home with her for the summer so badly.

She couldn't help thinking that they would be disgusted by her, or disown her, or maybe even lock her in the dungeon.

But then... They cared so much about love. So wouldn't they be happy that she had found it? At the same place they discovered theirs? Even if it was...with a girl.

This was the only thought that got her through the long, silent day. When the alarm clock on her desk said 4:13 PM, there was a knock at her door.

"Enter."