Ch 19 Promise's

Jin and Liz remained sat under the tree arguing about how they'd get back inside their cave. Jin refused to allow Liz to walk on her injured feet and Liz wouldn't allow Jin to carry her because of his own injuries. Jin was about ready to ignore her arguments and stand with her in his arms, but when he began to Liz quickly reached up and roughly tugged on his sensitive ear.

This is the scene Beau walked up to see and felt a pang of an unknown emotion stick in his chest. His eyes were drawn to the pretty little female, the flush in her cheeks and fire in her eyes while she boldly scolded her mate. His eyes traveled down her lovely pale skin and he remembered how soft it was under his rough hands, that thought brought his eyes to land on the purple band wrapping around her bicep. His heart suddenly felt like it was being squeezed, the feeling was strange and unwelcome, making him forget his purpose in even being there.

Beau was about to flee, when a territorial growl ripped him from his thoughts and he looked up to see Jin snarling at him while trying to twist his body to hide Liz behind him without releasing her from his chest. Beau glared with an unimpressed look and barely resisted rolling his eyes.

"I am a healer from the Rivers Bend Tribe. Healer Hank had to go attend to his female and asked me to deliver this medicine for the injured female." Beau oddly found himself trying to justify his presence and internally scolded himself for his abnormal behavior. Jin smelt the air, taking in the pungent herbal scent.

"Fine, give it to her and leave, healer." Jin growled at him.

Beau snarled at the disrespect, but was also waiting for Liz to rat him out to her mate for accusing her of being a thief and hurting her arm but instead she softly hit Jin's chest in a scolding manor then turned her gently smiling face to him.

"Thank you for going out of you way to bring it." She said. Beau's eyes widened in shock, he couldn't believe she was speaking to him so gently after what he'd done to her... 'No all females are scheming selfish creatures. She's probably waiting to use this against me somehow... But how? What's her angle?'

"Why are you waiting? Give my female the medicine and stop staring or should I claw out your eyes?" Jin threatened, the heckles on Beau's neck rose, he growled and so did Jin, which surprisingly earned a delightful little giggle from Liz, that caught both males off guard, but she just couldn't help it...

"Sorry. Sorry." Liz covered her mouth to hide the smirk and suppress the snicker. The dramatic difference in the tone of their growling was comical, Jin's was low and rumbling, while Beau's was high pitched and feral. Not to mention Beau was so aggressive and domineering when they met before, but now he's hissing like a cornered cat.

Eventually Liz and Jin came to a sort of compromise on their earlier argument... Well kind of, since Jin still wasn't happy but accepted it as the only solution without allowing Liz to walk on her own. Beau carried Liz while Jin took his time to make sure he didn't rip a single stitch, which honestly wasn't easy because the thread she used is crap for stitches and he'd already busted a few while he was arguing with Liz about how they'd get inside.

Beau awkwardly picked her up, afraid he'd hurt her again but also didn't want to drop her. 'She's so soft and light. Does she eat enough?' His thoughts were intorrupted by Jin's jealous growl.

"Calm down, mister! Don't even think about busting those stitches and ruining all my hard work." Liz scolded and Jin's ears flattened on top of his head.

Beau rolled his eyes and quickly turned his back on the dumb tiger. The entrance to her cave closed in on them to quickly, but there was no way for him to slow down his steps and make this interaction last longer and did he even have the right too after what he did? No, but how could he make it right, he wondered and her own unknown words popped into his mind.

"I'm sorry." He whispered so quietly Liz almost didn't hear him and he purposefully avoided looking at her, but he could feel her eyes on him and it made I'm feel warm and uncomfortable and giddy all at the same time. Liz watched his cheeks flush the longer she stared at him and couldn't help the smirk of satisfaction that tugged at her lips, her chest swelled with... something, but she wasn't going to give him a hard time.

"It's fine. Thanks for your help." Liz said with a kind smile, then quickly diverted her attention to the stinky leaf wrapped medicine in her hand. "Sooo... Do I even want to know what's in this, this time?" Liz asked as she made a face with her nose scrunched up cutely.

"What do you mean?" Beau looked confused.

"Well, last time he crushed up bug brains in it." She shuttered in disgust just thinking about it.

"No." Beau tried to suppress the chuckle rising in his chest, but couldn't stop his lips from quirking up slightly in the corner. "There's no bug brains inside..." He stopped and thought for a moment. "I promise." He said and a smirk stretched across his face as Liz's giggle sent his heart fluttering. "Wh... What does 'promise' mean exactly anyway?" He cleared his throat and asked trying to distract from the heat he felt rising in his cheeks.

"You said 'you promise' and you don't even know what it means?" Liz questioned with a slightly scolding look in her eyes, Beau rows his eyebrows and met her gaze tauntingly. Liz clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes in annoyance. "A promise is like a vow... Umm... It's something you can't lie about... Uhh... How do I explain... It's a guarantee you make that something will or won't happen... Like I promised I'd pay Hank back for what I took and you just promised me there aren't any brains in this." Liz tried to explain and held up the leaf of medicine.

"Hmm." Beau grunted in understanding as they unfortunately reached her cave, he hesitated only a moment before walking right in, his nose twitched as he smelt the air and he looked around for danger before he sat her down on some furs just inside the entrance. "I'll be in the area for a few days... I'll hunt for you until your male is healed." Beau stated like it was a non-negotiable fact of what will happen.

"Grrr! I can hunt for my own female!" Jin roared from behind them, Beau turned on him with a board cold glare but then stopped and smirked.

"Fine, then I'll stay here and protect the little female." His words earned another roar from Jin but Beau tilted his head cutely in confusion. "You weren't planning to leave her alone again, unprotected? Not after all that just happened." He asked in a mocking accusatory tone, Jin curled his hands into fists and growled, releasing some of his beast pressure which made Beau sweat but he resisted. "I... I bet you would, wouldn't you. Do you even care about your females safety?" He laid it on thickly, pushing back with his own pressure which helped slightly though he really wasn't Jin's match in a fight and Jin reacted to this as a challenge, he grew his claws and fangs, was snarling and ready to attack...

"Stop it! Both of you!" Liz yelled but then quickly sobered up. "Your bleeding again. Come here." She said reaching out for Jin, who obediently approached, shouldering Beau out of his way and sat down beside a glaring Liz.

Being forced to retreat Jin's wounds made Liz remember something she'd seen in an old movie, maybe 'Old Yeller' or 'Little House On The Prairie', they used horse hair to stitch wounds. Now, she didn't have a horse but she knew from playing with it that Jin's hair is much thicker and tougher than her own, so she guessed it would probably work. This also gave her the opportunity to teach Beau how to stitch up wounds, he seemed more than interested which wasn't much of a shock being he's a healer.