Mikhail glanced down at their sparkling wood floors. "You heard something?"

"Da. Someone here knows our girl. Feel it. Like she's telling me that's him Papa."

Mikhail frowned. "Wait...what are you saying?"

Lev said nothing for a moment. "Don't let Xiomara out of your sight. Something is brewing. When it's time to come get me, just be prepared to get on your knees. Yes?"

"Are you indisposed?" He whispered.
"Aren't I always?"
Mikhail sighed. "Don't you have any shame?"
He chuckled. "Don't you know the answer to that?"
"How many are watching you?" Mikhail crossed the rokm, looking for something to write with.

"Katya's was 7."
"Fuck. Cops?"
"I don't eat pork."
"Is Jean in on it?"
"...that I don't know. Can't get heads or tails."

Mikhail paced. "Will you be okay? Should I get the lawyer start getting you out?"

Lev smiled. "I'm having fun, love. I'll be fine."

Mikhail frowned. "I love you, Lev. Promise you'll be safe."

He grunted. "I will. Do t call me for something stupid like a birthday again."

Mikhail stared down at the phone. Lev typically loved his birthday, it was a day that was all about him, which, according to him, should be every day. He had 7 men watching him, but no guards that he knew of.

He sagged in his leather chair with a sigh. It was never simple. It was always something.

Xiomara's hands rested on his shoulders. "Everything okay? I'd think an egomaniac like Lev would love the idea of a birthday."

"...normally he would. It's a warning. He'll be out of communication for a while. We're not to call unless it's an emergency."

Her hands moved, massaging his shoulders, as she sighed resting her chin on his head. "What am I gonna do with boys?"

Mikhail tapped his fingers impatiently on the coffee table. "I figured it out."

She raised her brow. "About Lev?"

"About you."

She paused, before laughing nervously. "What do you mean?"

He swallowed roughly, the scent of her shampoo filling his nose. "I kept wondering why lev was so okay with you being here. Why you're so okay with being here, knowing we're dangerous."

Xiomara shifted "I care about you."

Mikhail leaned back. "No...it's because you don't care about us. I mean...I think we fascinate you, but we're not..."

He sighed. "It's not wrong, Xiomara. Really. I understand. It's like you just go along for the ride. When it's too bumpy you jump off. And he knew that. He let you stay...because he already knew you never planned to."

Xiomara said nothing for a moment. "Are you breaking up with me?"

"Would you care if I did?" He smiled ruefully.

She shrugged. "I...wouldn't prefer it. But I would be okay. Don't force yourself."

Mikhail clenched his jaw. Xiomara had no really attachments to anything and anyone. She reflected the people she was around, like a little mirror. Another reason Lev liked her.

"I know you have feelings for me, Mikhail. I...I like you too. You and Lev. But if you want me to go—"

Mikhail sighed. "I don't want to. If you loved me, or even him, it may have been different. But there's no need to put yourself in jeopardy for people who don't mean that much to you."