5

Mikhail had left for work, and Xiomara had her few things packed and ready to go to a hotel. Lev emerged from the long hallway his voice carrying before his figure emerged.

"A lot of people have the misconception that women are weak," he boomed, his bright hair peeling from the darkness. "But I under no such misconception."

Xiomara raised her brow. "Good...?"

Lev smiled. "Women are uniquely savage existence. They quietly simmer in rage whereas men react brashly. They are experts in long games. In mind games, planting seeds, burrowing corrosive thoughts into the minds of pitiful men, especially when those men are in love with them."

Xiomara couldn't tell if he liked women or hated them.

"And unfortunately my husband is a pitiful man, especially in regards to you," Lev said finally, taking her bag.

Xiomara glanced back at him as he set it on the table behind her.

"Oh...Kay?"

Lev just chuckled. "You, Xiomara seem uniquely cold. Able to turn off your attachment to others. Without things like love, women make fearsome opponents."

"If this is a joke, it's a bad one Lev. As usual," she muttered. "I thought we were together? We're enemies now? Fighting for Mikhail?"

Lev's spun her around to face him. "No. Because if we were you would just leave wouldn't you?"

Xiomara shrugged. "Do I look like the kind of woman who has trouble finding a boyfriend or three? Why would I fight with you?"

Lev narrowed his eyes, raising her chin. "Despite the fact I share my Mikhail I'm a jealous man. No more boyfriends. No for you and not for him. Deal?"

Xiomara sighed. "I can't seem to pin you down. Are you an asshole or not?"

Lev smiled at her. "Answer me, Xiomara. "

She froze at his cold demand. "I'm no cheater."

"Hm. You will agree not to fight against me for his heart. He's lovable. Not like me. And though you have such indifference I think it will change. People cannot help but love Mikhail—" Lev blinked. "Why are you smiling."

Xiomara grinned widely. "You sound so cute. I think you really love him. I couldn't tell at first. I'm glad."

Lev's eye twitched. "You're glad?"

Xiomara nodded. "He cares so much for you. I was worried you didn't feel the same. I'm glad for him. Unrequited love is a bitch. Mikhail deserves better."

And all at once Lev could see exactly why Mikhail cared for this strange woman. He chuckled.

"Xiomara?"
"Hm?"
"You've grown on me a bit more."

Xiomara chuckled. "And you've grown on me too. I look forward to...dating you. I have high standards, yknow. And I don't do that rudeness shit either."

Lev narrowed his eyes. "Oh?"

She nodded. "Treat me like a Queen and I'll treat you like a king. Treat me like dirt and I'll put you in it."

Lev laughed boisterously. "My my, what a Diamond he's found! I will steal this, hm? I like it."

The cab outside beeped. Lev took out his wallet, put some bills in her hand, closing her fingers around it, walking in front of her with her bag to the cab.

"Come. You let us know if you need to stay in a hotel for more than a day. Well put you up somewhere better," he informed her.

She walked after him. "Okay."

Lev raised his brow but decided she wouldn't do that and he'd have to check on his own. Troublesome. He put her bag in the cab opening the door for her. She slid inside.

"Mikhail will send you my number. And Xiomara?"

She looked up at him, the sun filtering through his golden hair.

"I see why Mikhail is so infatuated with you. I wonder how long I'll be able to resist." He leaned in kissing her head. He shut the door, tapping on the top of the cab, sending it away. He watched the car depart, feeling something. Something like the last warm part of his heart getting slightly bigger.
Lev shook his head.

"What a disturbing feeling," he murmured to himself, as the car drove out of sight.

He touched his chest, popping an antacid. Heartburn, he decided to himself. Mikhail and Xiomara. Even their names seemed to match.

His phone rang.

"Did you get her off safely," Mikhail's voice graveled through the phone.

"I did."

"Did you give her money for the hotel and the cab?"

"Yes, Mikhail I did. Do you care how I feel? About your little arrangement?"

Mikhail pursed his lips. "We sacrifice for each other. I have made...many sacrifices for you, Lev."

Lev clenched his jaw. "Da...you have. She's a beautiful woman. Smart. Bright, intelligent eyes. I see why you like her."

Mikhail smiled. "Yes. She is...perfectly suited for us. For everything we are. And I can keep her. If you help me, Lev. Show her the man that I love. At least until she's secure."

Lev traced the rim of his glass, his eyes head and unseeing, biting his lip. "She's a runner. Those feet are always ready to move, aimed for the wind. In our business...that will be a detriment to her. Once she's known running will not be an option."

Mikhail frowned. "Then we'll protect her. Won't we?"

Lev smirked. "Of course...of course. Mikhail? Am I still your favorite?"

Mikhail sighed over the phone. "I don't have favorites."

Lev narrowed his eyes at the phone as Mikhail hung up. "Isn't that just a round about way to say yes?" Lev murmured.