(10) His Gaze Softened

// CW: military-related discussions

8:47 AM

A car beeped outside, right outside of the zone of the Kamisato estate. A sort of chaos buzzed all around Thoma, dressed in military-esque jeans explicitly tailored to his measurements last minute, and a red hoodie from home. In his left hand, he had a duffle bag, stuffed and full of medicinal supplies, any change of clothes, and weapons he was recommended to take.

Standing outside of the building, Thoma was awaiting a final instruction from Ayaka. While the shogunate military personnel returned and left with any remaining information to tell the commissioner, his second in command was busy preparing the housekeeper for this dangerous mission.

She returned with a couple of bandages in her hand and a few long-lasting foods in her other. Seeing her, Thoma placed the duffle bag down, unzipping it. The lady proceeded to pack the things inside. "Remember, stay safe." She ordered, while neatly filling up the bag, then close it.

Thoma nodded his head. "Safe, understood." Several hours prior, since he was awoken, Kamisato Ayaka was the one to lecture him about the etiquette and responsibilities he'll have to follow while on Yashiori Island.

She stood straight and gave Thoma and serious glance. "Don't make any rash decisions." It wasn't every day Ayaka was entirely indulged in her title, and even then, you wouldn't dare to oppose what she had to say.

Thoma once again nodded. "Yes." He picked the bag up, the weight slightly throwing him off balance, but he had enough strength to throw it onto his shoulder.

She crossed her arms. "You can trust our shumatsuban, so your safety will be ensured no matter what." Even though stern, not even Ayaka could conceal her concern for her friend's wellbeing.

That Thoma could feel as well. No matter the reassurance, nor the manpower that is tasked to protect anyone of great importance, his heart couldn't help but pound out of fear. "... Yes." Was all he could mutter.

With a strong hug from the lady and a final glance from the commissioner, the two men were ready to leave the zone of the estate. A long journey ahead was waiting after all.

Escorted by military personnel, they took a black limo to a different boarding point. All representatives or retainers said not a single word the whole road there, even Ayato refrained from saying much, other than the customary greetings or handshakes. Thoma would always follow behind, carrying the duffle bag with him without a single offer of help from anyone.

He was a liability after all.

Eventually, they reached a helicopter checkpoint. There, Yae Miko waited, resting while completely indulging in a novel from her publishing house. Surrounding her radiating presence were two shrine maidens, most likely ordered to keep an eye on her. The guuji seemed the one to be the most out of place, no matter if the shogunate's name was attached to her or not. Her overly relaxed natured appeared as though this was a simple get-together.

All were to board a couple of helicopters to finalize their journey to Yashiori Island. As the two parties came close to the vehicles, a commanding Tenryou commission military export greeted them.

"Guuji Yae, mister Kamisato." The officer bowed. "Please board this vehicle, all assistants, the other" He pointed at the two helicopters, already containing their drivers. This was a safety measurement, to make sure no accidents could occur last minute.

Thoma, out of the habit of blindly following orders, pressed the bag close to his left and took a step forward, but was immediately stopped in his tracks by Ayatos hand grabbing his wrist. "Thoma, you will come with me." He stated.