just like old times ⸻ 22

The letter still weighed heavily on my mind, but I tried not to focus on it too much for the sake of enjoying what time I had left with my family.

Caius had been very clear that if I wasn't at the airport on the exact date and time I had given him then he would come down to Forks himself to retrieve me.

Now, I knew this was an empty threat but I had to be back anyways. It wasn't a good look for the Volturi to have their Queen missing, let alone for long periods of times. Aro warned me that for my safety, I shouldn't stay away from the castle, unguarded, for too long. We had too many enemies, he said, and I was beginning to worry that he was right.

Nevertheless, the letter was still pushed to the back of my mind as the following day I was determined to enjoy.

Paul had come down bright and early to pick up me, Nessie and Jake.

Making good on his promise, he was going to take us cliff diving which I knew my parents would never approve so Nessie and I decided not to tell them when we set off.

We were both still half-human despite the years strengthening us and our abilities. I especially was more vampire than human, but that didn't mean I wouldn't bleed or potentially get hurt.

Paul promised that he would look after me though and I believed him, so Nessie and I climbed into the back of his truck whilst Jake climbed in the front.

Immediately, my foot crunched on water bottles and forgotten fast food bags making me blanch at how messy his truck was.

"You really need to clean up back here," I teased him as I struggled to find a clear spot. "It's like a freaking war zone."

Nessie threw a couple of water bottles up front to clear her space and Jake laughed.

"Shut up," Paul waved me off and rolled his eyes. "Just put on your seatbelt so we can go."

"If I can find it," I muttered as I moved a Burger King bag.

Nessie shifted uncomfortably as we were squished together but eventually, I managed to find the seatbelt. As soon as it clicked Paul zoomed off, and then we were speeding down the highway no thanks to his lead foot, watching as the green trees of Forks passed by.

I stared out the window as soft radio music filled my ears, and I had to admit, I missed home.

Italy just didn't have the same atmosphere or character that Forks did. The lush green landscapes and mountains were scarce over there and there was certainly no rain.

There was just something about Washington that screamed home to me, but unfortunately, I just didn't belong there anymore.

Not anymore, not since I met Caius.

I loved him, I really did, and we had been together for twenty five years and I had yet to grow tired of my mate. Sure, he was exhausting sometimes but we had plenty of time to work out the kinks.

Underneath his hard exterior he really was a great man, scarred by his human life and his experiences as a vampire.

Many called him the Cruel King, or the Caius the Merciless, but to me he was just Caius.

...Just Caius that would absolutely kill me if he knew what I was about to do.

Paul parked the truck on an empty piece of gravel on the side of the road, and I felt butterflies fill my stomach as I hopped out of the truck.

My feet hit the ground and crunched as we walked through the thick brush, carrying all of our gear as we set out for the cliffs.

I had a towel, my sunglasses, and some extra clothes as well. Nessie carried the same and the boys carried the food.