Chapter 7: Say goodbye

Start from the beginning

"Because as you once said...I'm just a good friend to you and you don't feel the way I feel for you...and like a complete fool and an idiot I replied with a smile that I would never give up on us...that one day you will return my feelings..." He paused. 

"But those things don't matter anymore...because you are leaving anyways" He continued.

"Nathan, I..." I said only to be interrupted by him.

"Don't. Just don't, Seher. I don't wanna hear that same crap again...that I never wanted to hurt you...blah blah blah, I have heard that before" He said which made me close my eyes with a tired sigh.

"Alright then..." I trailed off pressing my lips together, opening my eyes.

"Tell me that you'll at least be there for dinner at my place tonight?" I asked although I have already invited him along with everyone else but now I was not so sure that he'll be there.

"No, Seher. I won't be able to make it, I have much more important things to do" He replied harshly, whereas I knew he was just making excuses. 

"Then how about tomorrow? At the airport...to see me off?" I asked not wanting to lose a good friend like him while I leave this country for good, and moreover I don't want to leave with any bad memories or upset anyone before leaving. 

"As I said I have much more important things to do" He replied before hanging up as I sighed yet again. 

I knew he said that just to hurt me...and I do feel bad, but honestly I'm not that hurt because when I think from his perspective, I get it...I get it that why he might have said those harsh words to me, because as he says...he loves me and when you really love someone, you just cannot see them walking away from you.

I looked down at the screen of my mobile with a sad smile. 

Walking out of that club that night...a year ago, mad at Susan for trying to set me up with her friend, I never imagined that I would accidentally run into that same friend of hers at the hospital I work at, but obviously he was not there to see me but for some other reason.

And then later I would become friends with him. Susan was shocked when she got to know that we were friends now, she even teased me about how that night I walked out of the club, mad at her but now I was friends with the same guy she tried setting me up with.

She thought that there was something else cooking between the both of us but...well duh...of course that wasn't the case, we were just friends and I made sure that she knew this too, to which she was of course kinda upset but from then on she stopped teasing me anyways. 

Anyways, Nathan and I have known each other and been friends for a year now.

Yes, friends are all that we are and all that we can ever be...but Nathan, on the other hand has always wanted to be more than just friends.

Once he even confessed his feelings to me, to say that I was shocked would be an understatement...I didn't even know how to react...because I never saw him as someone more than a friend.

Sure he is handsome, a gentleman if you ask me, well established in his work field and any girl would be the luckiest to have him as her life partner...but that girl was of course not me...because I don't feel the way he feels for me.

And as much as I didn't want to hurt him, I had to tell him this truth...to which he said that he'll never give up on us and that one day I might feel something for him.

And after that he never brought this topic up...he remained the same old good friend that he was, and somehow that said that he actually believed and was waiting patiently for me to start loving him back.

But ever since he got to know that I was returning back to India, for good, he has visibly grown impatient and restless...he has been acting weird since the past few days and just now he finally snapped over this phone call.

He wants me to stay back...for good...but that's not possible. I don't have any reason to stay. If I talk about my career, then yes, I do have great and better opportunities here and with a heavy heart even my parents would support me if I decide to settle down here...they would support my decision.

But I don't know...there's just something inside me...this weird...unsettling feeling that keeps urging me to return back to India...as if that's where I belong.

Maybe it's just a gut feeling or maybe it's just the emotional connection that I have with my country as my entire family lives there and maybe I just cannot stay away from them.

Or maybe...maybe it's something else, the little voice in my head said.

•••

Hey guys, 

So who's excited to meet Seher's Indian family?

And what do you think about this 'feeling' of Seher, that keeps urging her to return to India?

Is it just the emotional connection that she has with her family? Or is it something else?

Anyways,

Please vote, comment and share. 

Until next time. 

Love,

Crystal ❤️