Chapter 13

J.L

I love my job, I do. But some days I am ready to leave it all behind and retire early.

Today was just one of those days where nothing goes right. In fact, this whole week has been one disaster after the other.

It is ten thirty and I just got back home. Only because my assistant all but threw me out. I am hungry, tired, have a headache, and need a stiff drink.

Heating up some left overs, I quickly run over tomorrow's to do list in my head when I hear loud knocking.

Who the hell?

They ring the doorbell and knock more impatiently. Each knock feels like a punch to my fucking brain at this point.

Desperate for the pounding to stop, I open the door without asking who it is only for someone to barge right in.

Shit, it's Janelle.

I really should have used the door camera. I just don't have the energy for whatever this is.

"How could you?" Even in my exhausted state I do not miss the venom in her voice.

"FOUR YEARS, JL!!! We were together for four years. That's four years of me making myself smaller just for you to feel bigger. Four years I spent being the perfect girlfriend to make you look better. I gave you EVERYTHING! I even played nice with your backwards family."

"Watch it." The warning spills from my lips as I watch her pacing around my apartment. She can talk as much shit as she wants about me but trash talking my family? Fuck no.

"Fuck that. You don't get to boss me around anymore." She crossed her arms challenging me with a cold look.
"I've spent the past few weeks agonising over every fight we had. Every mistake I made. What could have possibly went wrong?
You made me feel like I was the one in the wrong. Like I was unlovable when all along you were not even worth a single tear."

I sigh, too tired for this.

"Are you done?" I ask willing her to leave with my mind.

"Who even are you?" At this point I am barely even listening. Instead I am thinking of my dinner in the microwave and the glass of whiskey I'm definitely pouring myself before bed.

"And the worst part is that I had to find out on tiktok! On tiktok, JL! Millions of people saw that video; do you have any idea how embarrassing that is for me? Social media manager's dirty laundry outed on social media. I am a laughing stock."

"Janelle, what are you even talking about?" People were bound to find out that we broke up. Especially after she blocked me.

"You haven't seen it?"

"Seen what?" I groan not in the mood for any of this.

My cabin in Sweden is looking really good right now.

Janelle takes out her phone and I assume she is looking for this video that has her so mad.
She finally hands it to me and I reluctantly press play.

A woman in a car is talking.

"Y'all, the nerve of some people.

So, today I picked up these two giant ass bitches from that overpriced specialist clinic for rich pregnant women, right. At least the other girl has some manners and said hello when she got in, it's this fake bitch that's the problem.

She gets in the car and she's freaking out because someone called Janelle was in the clinic. So now I'm thinking "who's Janelle?". Turns out, this hussy is upset her baby daddy's girlfriend just saw her there.