Chapter 12 - Part 2

Start from the beginning

I could still see Max's devastated expression when I had revealed I had cheated on him. It still haunted me, maybe it was because I had been in his shoes and I knew how it felt. But even knowing all of that, nothing had stopped my attraction to Aiden.

"You didn't think to contact me once in the last few weeks not until you saw me with someone else." He shook his head gently again, like he couldn't quite believe it.

"I've been busy with college and Lacey." It was a feeble excuse, even I knew that.

It felt like everything I was saying was making things worse.

"I don't know if you're trying to convince me or yourself but I don't believe that for a second." He stared out the window. "Your actions spoke volumes Reece. Saying nothing told me everything I needed to know."

I gripped the steering wheel trying to stop myself from getting emotional. I was already trying to recover from everything that had happened to Lacey.

"I went out on a limb and told you how I felt about you. I didn't want to put you under pressure but I still deserved some sort of answer and you know what I got. I got nothing. Not a message, not a phone call. Nothing." He paused. "But at least I know where I stand."

He was right. After ignoring him for the last three weeks I had no right to be here. His cold body language was exactly what I deserved.

I was used to the easy going Aiden. This cold angry Aiden was a stranger and I didn't know how to deal with him.

I dropped my gaze to study my hands. "I wanted to see you." I shrugged.

"Why tonight Reece? For the last three weeks I haven't see you or heard anything from you. Then you see me at a party with someone and you expect me to be glad you finally showed up."

I bit my lip, refusing to look at him or attempt to answer his question.

"If I had been alone? Would you be here right now?" His tone was confrontative. He was spoiling for an argument.

I kept quiet. Maybe he was right. If I hadn't seen him at the party with the girl, would I be here right now?

"Say something Reece."

What was there to say? I finally lifted my eyes to meet his.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled.

My life and my decisions didn't feel like my own anymore. From the time I had discovered Lacey's tumor, it felt like things had just spiralled out of control. I had made the decision to lead up to where I was now but I felt like a different person, not the same person who I had been before.

He sighed and shifted in the seat. "It doesn't matter." His tone resigned.

I frowned. "What does that mean?" I nervous as to what that meant.

He studied me for a few moments. "I think whatever happened between us was a mistake, let's just put it down to a temporary lapse in reason caused by the stress of what was happening to our friend."

Was he serious? And why did his reasoning upset me so much? I had dragged my heels when he had declared he like me.

"I don't understand...I thought..." I stopped talking.

"What did you think?" he prompted.

I shook my head. "It doesn't matter." I sighed. This wasn't how I expected things to unfold.

"I thought what we shared was something real. I was convinced of it." He ran a hand through his hair and I felt a physical pain open up inside my chest. "I admitted how I felt about you and gave you a chance to let me know how you felt."

I opened my mouth but no words came out. How on earth could I argue different when I wasn't even convinced of it myself?

"Maybe I was the fool for believing it was more."

Our eyes met. The pain I felt intensified but I didn't argue or say anything to stop him.

"I'd appreciate some updates about Lacey, if that's not too much to ask." The finality in his voice cut right through me and I knew I only had myself to blame. "I can't exactly call her myself, can I?"

I nodded.

I could have spoken up in that moment and argue but I held my tongue and allowed him to get out of the car.

"Take care of yourself Reece," he said softly.

I couldn't look at him but I nodded.

The door closed and I could feel tears sting.

I lifted my gaze to see him reenter his house and shut the door.