Chapter 1

(Ashley's school outfit is pictured above)

Mornings. Most people hate them but not me. I find them very peaceful when no one is awake yet, the birds are chirping, the sun is glittering across the room through the curtains. Another reason I love the mornings is because it's the only time I don't feel judgment from others. At school I'm not popular at all. I am known to be quiet and introverted as well. Looking through my outfits I picked out an over sized Disney World sweater and my usual baggy jeans and paired them with my white sneakers. I threw on my hoop earrings and left my hair down straight. If I'm being honest, I tend to go for the comfier/baggier look because I'm not as confident as others to wear more form-fitted outfits.

I head downstairs with my backpack for some breakfast before school. I enter the kitchen to see my mom, placing a plate with an omelet, bacon, fried potatoes, and a bowl of cut melon on the table. My mother smiles at me "Good morning dear! I hope you're hungry, I just finished making breakfast." I thanked her while taking my seat in front of the food. "Are you ready for another week of school?" She asks me while starting to make her own breakfast. 'Oh yeah, like I would want to go back there' I thought to myself but I didn't want to stress mom out more than she already is. I force my best smile "Of course I am! I get to see Sam again and I heard the cafeteria is actually not making mystery meat this week!"

She chuckles "Oh yeah! Like you and Samantha haven't seen each other all weekend. As for your school lunch, I'm happy you don't have to eat 'mystery meat' this week." She then gets a phone call which cuts off whatever else she was going to say. I finish my breakfast and text Sam that I will meet her outside in a few minutes. I place my plate in the dishwasher while yelling a quick goodbye to my mom. She simply waves and mouths 'goodbye' to me as I head out the door. As I walk down the driveway I see my best friend Sam waiting for me. She's wearing a bright smile "Hey bestie! Now I know it's been less than twenty-four hours but I missed you." She exclaims as I reach her and link our arms.

Now Sam is my best friend and has been since we were in diapers, we do basically everything together. They really mean it when they say opposites attract because we couldn't be more different. She's not shy and quiet, Sam speaks her voice and is very extroverted. Her style is also the best thing I have ever seen. I would totally let her style me if I was bold enough to wear what she does every day. Take today for instance, it's a Monday and she's wearing a plaid mini skirt with a black baby tee and her signature Doc Martin's. Her hair always looks amazing with her curled half up half down look in all its pink glory. Wait, pink?!

I turned to her sharply "When did you dye your hair pink?! We just saw each other last night at dinner!" I guess the look on my face amused her because she started laughing like I had just said the funniest thing ever. We talked and giggled the whole walk to school and talked about all of the other color possibilities she could dye her hair. "Ugh, I really hate this place." I mutter to Sam as we walk up to the school building. "Hey, at least we don't have to go to school with humans. I don't know about you but I dislike those pesky humans." Sam tried to cheer me up.

It did help lighten the mood a little. "Yeah, that's true. They are rather annoying but some are cool that I've seen" I tried to stick up for some of them. Sam scoffs grabbing my arm leading me inside to our lockers. I put my bag in my locker and pulled out my history books and some other stuff I need for class. "I don't want to go to Sanders' class. His voice is so monotone it puts me to sleep the minute he opens his mouth!" I say looking at Sam. By the look on her face I can tell she felt the same. "Do NOT get me started on his class. The man needs to get laid or something, I swear he hates children more than anything. I don't get why he's a teacher." She rolls her eyes as we walk to history.

We walk into Mr. Sanders class and take our normal seats. After getting situated she turns to me "You know, I know you get picked on at school but no one seems to be bothering you today yet. Maybe they got tired of the same thing all the time?" She tells me quietly. "Yeah they aren't messing with me because they're too caught up in your hot pink hair you have going on." I scoff knowing full well that once everyone gets over Sam's hair it'll go back to the same old thing. "You're coming over after school today right?" I added on.

Before she could respond the teacher walks in with his signature frown on his face. "Enough talking. Be quiet and turn your books to page 394." He instructs us without looking up as he gets his things ready for today's lessons. Sam and I share a quick glance at each other and silently laugh. We don't even have to speak to know what the other was going to say.

His cold eyes take us all in "Alright, now today we'll be learning about-" He was cut off as Chase and some of his friends came in late. They laugh as they take their seats at the back of the room. "I hope you boys have an excuse as to why you're late hm? Perhaps you should learn how to read a clock so you're on time in the future. Now turn to page 394 and be silent!" Mr. Sanders scolded the guys. I didn't pay much attention while They were getting scolded because when they walked in I got an overwhelming scent of mint and it was like the greatest thing I've ever smelt.

Oh, no. I know what that means, before I could even finish my thought my wolf Selena yips 'mate' in my head. Oh shit. Chase Anderson is my mate.

Not only is he the most popular guy in school but he's also the future alpha of our pack. Without Sanders noticing I quickly write a note to Sam telling her about the situation and sliding it over to her. I see her eyes widen at the note as she reads it. The rest of the class I think of ways I could avoid him as much as possible hoping to avoid the inevitable. I know he knows because when they first entered we accidentally made eye contact and felt it.

After what feels like forever class ended and Sam and I grabbed our things and high tailed it out of the room to our lockers. "You really have shitty luck, you know that right? He's the biggest douche in this whole school!" Sam exclaims next to me. I grab the things for my next class and slam my locker shut. "Yes Sammy I am aware of how unlucky I am! You and I both know the outcome of this situation." I tell her holding my things close as she gets the rest of her books. Sam gives me a sympathetic look "Maybe you'll be able to get a second mate! They're not very common but you never know."

Second mates are sometimes gifted to those who have either been rejected or their first mate passes away. It doesn't happen very often though. "Well, we better get to our next classes before we're both late. I don't need a detention and stuck here longer than needed." I try to joke to lighten the mood.

Somehow my plan worked and I successfully avoided Chase for the rest of the day. I did see him a couple of times, such as lunch but it seems he wanted to avoid me as well. I pull my backpack from the locker and see I have a text from Sam. 'Got held back in class for a few. Meet you out front when I'm done.' Great, I can do this. I've gone the whole day avoiding Chase and his goons. I can last a few more minutes.

I sent a quick reply letting her know where to find me and make my way outside. As I walk outside I suddenly get yanked behind the shrubs. Once I was let go I was able to see who had grabbed me. Of. F*cking. Course. It's Chase and he doesn't look very pleased. 

"This can't be true. You seriously can't be my mate!" Chase starts looking at me. Judging me like he and others do everyday. I try to prepare myself for the outcome but I know ready or not it will hurt. He starts again "Well, I assume you already know what was to be expected so let's just get right to it shall we? I, Chase Anderson, reject you, Ashley Patterson, as my mate." There it is. He did it so casually like it was nothing. Like I was nothing. 

Holding my head high with what little dignity I have left I say "I, Ashley Patterson, accept your rejection." With that I leave him there to go find Sam and walk home with her. 

There's an awkward silence as we walk. It must have been too much for Sam because she finally decides to break the silence. "Are you going to tell me what's wrong? I went to where you said you would be and couldn't find you anywhere. Are you okay?" I sigh, debating if I should tell her or not. A part of me wants to wallow in self pity alone but then again she always knows how to help when I'm feeling down. "Okay, well, I went outside to our meeting spot when Chase found me. He pulled me behind some shrubs and rejected me officially and I accepted." I finally told her.