Chapter 16 - A Heartless Liar

Start from the beginning

I don't feel safe being here all alone and I'm starting to think that I should have just hung up on him.

The sound of leaves being crunched under shoes suddenly sounds behind me very closely. I immediately turn around and it takes my brain a second to recognize him.

He's so different from the adorable little boy I grew up with. The life and happiness are all gone from those brown eyes of his that are the same as mine. I can't really see the rest of his face because of the shadows and because it is pitch black outside.

"You came." He speaks up quietly keeping his distance.

I just nod at him not being able to make up my mind on how to feel now that I am seeing him. To be honest I never thought I would see him again.

A sorrowful expression suddenly displays on his face as he stares at me. "I'm sorry, Gianna."

A lonely tear falls from his left eye, and I stay quiet.

He's apologizing for what he did to mamma, but I don't know if I should believe it. I don't know if this is all an act on his part. He may be my brother and we may carry the same blood in our veins, but I don't know him.

He steps closer to me and when he is right in front of me, he gets on his knees as he looks up at me. I look right down at his eyes. Those eyes may be like mine but when I look at his all I see is a painful picture. A picture that I have tried to erase from my memory for years.

He has eye bags, scars, and his face honestly looks like he hasn't been doing well all these years.

He suddenly grabs one of my hands and moves it up to his cheek. The small action cracks my already damaged heart. Mamma used to always bring her hand up to our cheeks and caress them in a form of comfort.

"I regret it so much every day, Gigi." My eyes immediately water up at the stupid nickname and I continue to stay quiet.

We're suddenly little kids and he is my baby brother who won't stop bugging me. He would always be so cheerful and mimic every single thing that I would do. Mamma cared for us so much and gave us all her love. He ruined it, he took her away from me and he disappeared right after.

I don't know how to function properly. I don't know how to react or feel. I want to hurt him badly for what he did, but I don't know if I'm capable of doing that to him yet.

"Say something, please." He pleads me as more tears fall from his eyes staining his cheeks.

I pull my hand away from his face. I close my eyes looking away from him. I take in a deep breath before looking back down at him.

"You took her away from me and papa. Do you have any idea on how much I've needed her all these years?" I look down at him in so much anger.

"I know. I'm so sorry." He cries out wrapping his arms around my waist and hugging me as he leans his head against my stomach.

"I'm sorry for sending Paolo to you." His words make me push him away.

"What are you talking about?" I take a few steps back from him.

"I'm the reason he randomly showed up and forcefully kissed you." Marcello confesses as he gets back up on his feet.

"Why?"

"You'll know soon." He isn't crying anymore, and his mood has rapidly changed. He's planning something and I don't have a good feeling about it.

"What are you doing?" I question beginning to feel uneasy.

"I think you should leave now." The tone in which he says it in doesn't make me think twice before beginning to walk away.

I'm so confused on why he called me. He said he needed to tell me something important, but he didn't say anything. I have so many questions that I need answers to immediately.