𝐯𝐢 | city of trost

Start from the beginning

Iris must get to HQ as fast as she can. Once Bertholdt breaks the wall, the city will panic and crowd the streets, and she doesn't want to get stuck in between the hundreds and raise suspicion in the Cadets, asking her whereabouts.

And as she approaches the Cadet Corps building, a loud explosion startles her. She looks over her shoulder and watches an enormous cloud of gray smoke at the top of the wall.

Even at a far distance, Iris could see the Colossal's giant head appear through the smoke, staring down at it, steam coming out of his body.

Iris knew what was going to happen next, and turned back to the road, arriving at the building and quickly getting off her horse, tying its reins to a tree before she went inside.

She hears another explosion, and knew there was no turning back.

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒ ✯ ‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

"You've been preparing for this day for three years! Fill up your gas and gather with your assigned squads! Fight well, Cadets!" A Garrison soldier shouts, but no one had the time to spare.

It was a mess everywhere.

The Cadets rushed to fill up their gas tanks, preparing their gear to fight. Some were thrown on the ground, crying, yelling to take them home or to kill them before the Titans do, making Iris close her eyes and sigh.

I don't want to this, she thought.

"Don't waste time, Iris. We have to find Marco and meet with the other squads," Reiner tells her, closing the vault of the gas and placing the cylinder in his gear.

She opens her eyes, and continues to place her blades inside her sheath equipped on her thighs. When done, she starts playing with the ends of her braid, twirling them around her finger.

Reiner was finishing to get his gear ready, Annie and her sat next to each other, waiting for him. Bertholdt, who came shortly after the Garrison announced the breach, was still filling up his gas, his brown eyes staring soullessly at his shoes.

"It's so damn noisy," Annie complains, eyeing the panicking Cadets with a bored look.

"They're scared," Iris says, "In a way or another, we're also scared, no matter how hard we try to deny it. Fear always finds its way to you."

Shortly, the four Warriors made their way out of the supply room and out to where the Garrison was summoning everyone. As she walks, Iris catches sight of a familiar ash-brown hair, and stops in her steps instantly.

There he was, pressed against the wall... by Eren?

Eren had Jean standing incredibly still with his arm on his chest, shouting things Iris couldn't make out, but whatever it was, it must have made Jean realize something, seeing how he wasn't snarling back at him as he usually does.

Eren harshly lets go of him and storms off, Mikasa trailing his steps.

Jean clenches his fists. His mouth opens and says something, but Iris could only see the movement of his lips. Then, he averts his eyes somewhere else, falling on her.

His eyes widen. He takes a step forward, and Iris takes one back. He looks at her.

Hurt. Confused. Worried.