~ A STRUGGLE FOR WORDS ~

(JANE)

I could see the glimmer in his eyes when I mentioned that the ballistics reports were out and that we had an address, everytime I appeared; he seemed flustered and troubled; but each time I present a little leap on the case it all vanishes. The Deputy had briefed me about Dawson not liking to work with partners, and I was seeing the reality first hand, either way; as much as I hate to throw myself at people, it was my job and I somehow wanted to get things done for him. Maybe because I would always see that handsome face and blue eyes, I still can't get enough of those and it sickens me everytime I think about it.

On these two occasions where we met coincidentally in the same place, was sought of a sign of something. I wanted to impress him actually; by getting answers even before he thought about it, but he was always there before I did. Well, they didn't call him a good detective for nothing, considering the fact that; the woman who was killed was his little sister.

"What's the address?" I heard him ask, my hands were tucked in my jacket and I was staring right at his handsome face, his thick and husky voice was starting to do something to me also, 'not so fast!' I said in my mind, shaking off the unusual feelings that had started to sneak around.

"The gun was purchased just this morning from a legal gun store, under a name which would probably be an alias; Tommy Hills." I replied, shifting my gaze from him to the darkness behind, staring at him was making me feel uneasy.

"We need to get to, sorry, I need to get to that store; find out if he paid with his credit card, if not I'd check out their CCTV feeds,"

"What do you mean 'I', I'm coming with you," I ignored all his blabbering and countered just the part where he changed the 'we' to 'I'. It was the first time I was staring at him with a really serious look on my face.

"No you're not detective Jane," he sighed, rolling his blue eyes in frustration.

"And why's that?" I wasn't going to give up so easily.

Even though what I was doing was against my pride on a normal day, this was different; it was work. But I had a choice, don't I? Maybe I don't have my pride powers when I'm with this man.

"Because I have another job for you," he replied, displaying what looked like a business card in front of my face. He was holding it with a plastic blue hand glove he wasn't wearing, he stretched it towards me. I  quickly grabbed a small plastic bag from inside my jacket and allowed him to drop it inside, I sealed the bag and read the content on the card in an instant.

"Run it for prints, whosoever dropped it might not be wearing gloves; we might be lucky." Dawson continued, before I could say anything concerning the card he just handed over to me.

I had no choice but to obey him now that he had given me a job to do, but I really wanted to go with him to that gun store, either way I had to give in.

"Will do," I said, placing the plastic wrapped card inside my inner jacket pocket. He nodded and walked past me, going straight for his car. Somehow, the words fell off my mouth before I could think twice.

"Don't you like me Mr. Dawson?" I asked, turning to face him, he stopped immediately but he didn't turn back; he just stood there, backing me with his hands deep inside his hoodie pockets. Where that question came from, and how I had the courage to ask it was still a mystery to me, but I did anyway, if there was anything I wanted more in the few moments of working with this man is to show him how valuable working with a partner was, that has suddenly become my main aim.

"My sister just died, Detective Jane, and I'm sure the deputy had briefed you about how I work; you're a smart woman, but it's the way I've always been." He responded better than I expected.
I was seriously expecting him to just walk away without saying a word, what he said was the honest truth, and I had never seen a man so honest with his words which gave me more reason to prove my worth.

"Well, I'm sorry about your sister Mr. Dawson, but she's the reason I am here; and I have just two goals, to capture her killer and to change your mindset about working with a partner. I won't stop trying my best till I achieve both," I said the words with so much emphasis, and really; I meant what I just uttered.

"Text me the gun store address detective, and goodluck with that." I thought I heard something like a scoff or a chuckle, I wasn't really sure what it was; but I'd hear a sound come from Dawson after he finished talking, he started walking towards his vehicle again without turning back to look at me.

Detective Dawson would see me as the best partner he ever worked with, although I haven't thought how I'd achieved that yet, but I just had that feeling. Even though I was slowly falling for the man, I surely didn't mean romance was part of it. The thought of us making out flashed across my mind and I shivered down there. My God! What has gotten into me, well I certainly wouldn't blame myself too much, I was in my early thirties and I was single.

However, falling in love with a detective wasn't part of my plan.....Especially not this detective.....