This Land Is Your Land

Start from the beginning

—----------------------------------------------

(Nick's POV)

Troy silently gives a thousand yard stare down at his brother's corpse. He's already been put down in the way that he won't be coming back as a biter, but he hasn't been put down in any sort of grave. Nick stands up against the truck, observing Troy mourn in silence. Unexpectedly, he starts to move again, and begins digging up the dirt around the body like a wild animal with his hands.

"Gotta leave him." Nick briefly tells him coldly. Digging a grave would take far too long, let alone a grave with just your hands. Troy stops his efforts and sits back. He scoffs at his own weak attempt and how this whole event has turned out for him. Leading the horde did not end the way he thought it would.

"He was better than us. That's why he's gone." He explains, mostly to himself, trying to reason with his mind that it would always be like this. That leading the horde wasn't the cause. "The good.....they don't survive in this world. Only killers...." His voice trails off. "That's why you, me, and Frankie are still here.... " That comment set Nick off again into a fury.

"Shut up, Troy!" He yells. "Your brother's dead because you brought a horde down on us. And don't say that about Frankie, she could be dead anyways." He threatens him. "So, why don't you quit jerking yourself off about the tragedy of it, and help me do what Jake would've done....or those people are gonna die." He brings Troy back to the reality of the situation again. "And if they do die, it's not because they were too good for this world, it's because we failed."

Troy gets up on his feet again slowly dragging himself to where Nick stands. He sets a hand on his shoulder in hopes to gain some empathy, but Nick glares at him anyway.

"If she is dead....then I'm sorry...." He quietly apologizes. "I tried to stop her but she was set on warning you...couldn't talk her out of it." He tilts his head and avoids getting sun in his eyes. Nick thinks of how not only his wife is stuck in the bunker, but also his sister. If they both die then he would be stuck with Madison, and that is something he doesn't want to solely live for. It would all be Troy's fault to go along with it, the man he's found such fascination in.

"Yeah, well if she's dead then so are you. I promise you that." Nick makes sharp eye contact with Troy, telling him that this is no bluff. Part of Troy is just impressed.

—--------------------------------------------

(Frankie's POV)

"How long will it take dragging on our knees and elbows?" Alicia asks Crazy Dog for more information about the only solution they've managed to come up with. Ofelia, Frankie, Alicia and Crazy Dog all stand in a circle discussing. The idea was that two people would climb in the air vents, despite the tight fit, and clear whatever was blocking the flow of oxygen coming in. There is no way to fix it remotely so manual it is.

"About an hour to get there to clear the blockage." Crazy Dog answers, knowing the crawl will be slow and tedious. Ofelia nods, understanding what she signed up for. Her and Crazy Dog had previously agreed to the job to fix the air. Plus, Frankie and Alicia would be better listened to by the survivors in the, mostly because they're white and majority of the people happened to be bigots. Frankie just hopes all the soldiers who had spread the rumors that she was a 'fag' had died off by now.

"Right. Plus we need an hour back." Ofelia adds on.

"There might not be enough air down here to last. We have maybe two hours before the carbon dioxide kills us." Alicia estimates. A shudder runs down Frankie's spine. The looming figure of death hovers a little closer. She shakes it off however, the presence around her giving subtle reminders on how this all could be a deep set delusion. Despite her not sure on the legitimacy of the situation, she figures it's best to try as best she can anyways.