And of course, you'll understand. There's no way he'll be so eager to see your mortal status, and there's no way you're disappointed that he's not here.

You're eager to see him? No. You're eager to thank him. That's all. You're just grateful he changed his mind at the last minute.

"Captain went ahead." Petra responded in a preoccupied tone, not even lifting her eyes to meet either of both. That, you're thankful she didn't pay attention to Miche's teasing tone.

"Eld was left in charge but the captain couldn't leave the station that long so he had to go back. After all, we are dealing with a shifter here."

"Which is why I didn't expect him to delegate this important task to Eld." Petra had sharpness in her tone, even a deaf could hear.

And you glimpsed that noticeable transition in Miche's expression.

From teasing to hardened, you didn't like the implication of the thing you just heard. You don't regret asking help from Levi to save a life. To save a family's life.

And all the more that it wasn't a mistake.

You didn't even notice when Petra left for the horses. She assisted both of your mounting, having been told twice that Miche will suck up the pain and that get himself up no problem.

The man didn't want to admit it, but as much as he didn't want others to be burdened, he needed the help.

And you didn't not notice it. That look. A particular disdain swept in your direction before Petra focused back on the stirrup.

She glanced at you, and maybe she noticed everybody's discomfort, or she got the tension hanging in the air, but that around her suddenly changed from hostile to neutral.

Like Petra regretted saying that in front of a survivor.

"B-But what really was that?" Her tone became friendly. "It's my first time seeing a furry titan, and it talked?"

"We can talk when we get to Hermina." Miche replied coldly. "You're under orders to go back, Petra?"

"Yes sir," She replied. The horses gained momentum, and eventually, the cold wind was in your face, the scent of heat and grass burning at the entrance of your nose. Miche kept looking behind your shoulder, apparently looking out in case the titans followed you, but no one did.

No one spoke to each other or tried pleasantries. Petra's strength supported his balance until you arrived at an empty ward.

You limped behind them, almost bumping at Miche's back before you realized how different the temporary headquarters of the Survey was in Hermina.

First was the assaulting sourness in your nose. The acidity of their cleaning agents flaunted in the air, the type that attaches in your clothes the moment you leave.

Then the windows. Huge and arched, the materials? Limestone. It just added to the easiness of the ward, your eyes adjusting to the bright, clean structure of it.

The nurses were in a cream uniform; their aprons, as white as brand new clothes. They hid their hair in a white... sort of like a turban that you didn't know what it's called, but the way they twisted; hiding the locks of hair gave them the air of dignity and respect called from their profession.

And they were just walking around, setting the bed, linen blankets carried by them.

The beauty and calmness of the hall almost made you forget the war going on outside.

"I'll leave you both here." Petra posed a salute, ready to turn her heel before—

"Petra, relay this to Erwin when you see him out: That monkey titan took my gear, and said something about his grandfather and how he could introduce Phoebe."