Chapter 6

I jumped in my car and drove to the beach, my drawing kit next to me. My kit was composed of my mp3, my sketch pad, Ever-sharps, and my camera. I sat at the table Sarah and I had eaten lunch at before Brendan interrupted us.

I took pictures of random people and drew them, not really for the drawing itself, but just for practice. I saw a face that looked vaguely familiar, but I ignored it and snapped the picture anyway. While drawing it, my music stopped. I glared at my mp3 reproachfully. I probably should’ve charged it before I came. I sighed and continued drawing, but my lack of music shook me out of my daze. I realized why the face looked familiar and looked up. Sure enough, Brendan was across the boardwalk joking with some friends, and he didn’t seem to have noticed me. I packed up my stuff and moved with the crowd until I was near enough them to hear their conversation without being seen.

“Seriously, man, why do you even like her? She’s pretty good looking I guess, but not as hot as Jennifer or Ashley.” Jennifer and Ashley were the closest thing to strippers our school had. The now-familiar voice spoke next.

“Because she’s an amazing person. She can draw, she’s funny, feisty—” this drew a laugh from them “—and because she’s the only girl who hasn’t thrown herself all over me. She may not be the top of the social food chain, but I want to give her a chance.  Besides, I’m getting a little tired of the usual girls.” His friends laughed and moved away from my hiding spot. I was suddenly tired, and I ran to my car.

I sat at my seat, finishing the last details on my drawing of Brendan. I heard a chair scrap on the floor next to mine, but I ignored it. After a few minutes of silence, he finally spoke.

“You know, it’s not lady-like to ignore people,” he pointed out.

“The only ‘ladies’ you know are the ones that are laying on their back a few hours after meeting you, so I’m not really missing much, am I?” I glanced up from my sketchbook. He frowned and peered around my arm, and grabbed the drawing. I scrabbled after it. He held me back with one arm, and was closely examining the sketchbook.  He looked back at me, gesturing with his head towards the drawing.

“Is that me?” No shit, Sherlock.

“Yes.” You’re so lucky I don’t kick you.

“It’s really good.” No, really? “Why did you do me?”

“Practice,” I replied quickly, and yanked it out of his hands and gathered up my stuff. He closed in behind me and ran his hand along my back. I can’t deny that it made me feel funny… almost, good. I shoved the thought away. While replacing my stuff in my locker, he rubbed my shoulders. I flinched, making him stop. He turned my face to look at him.

“What’s wrong?” Nothing, go away, asshole. “You’re super tense.”

“You’re touching me. That within itself makes me tense up.” I closed my locker and walked away.

“When I touch you, or just anybody?” I ignored him. He smiled.

“Then this must drive you crazy.” I was about to ask him what, when he hooked his fingers in my belt loops, jerking me towards him. His lips grazed my cheek and I forgot how to breathe. Close. Too close… too close… WAY TOO FREAKING CLOSE! Brendan’s lips traveled up to my ear, where he whispered, “Breathe, Lisa.” I drew in a breath. Damn him. He was still smiling as he released me. My skin was burning where his lips had touched it. I glared at him as he walked away.

Halfway through my next class, I received another text from him, similar to last night’s.

Brendan: Are you free tonight?

Me: Why?

Brendan: Isn’t it obvious? To go on a date, silly

Me:  I’m not silly.

Brendan: Then come on a date with me

Me: No

Brendan: Why not?

Me: We had one date, Brendan, get over it

Brendan: No. I can’t

Me: why?

Brendan: You’re invading my privacy

Me: Excuse me?

Brendan: You’re in my thoughts, my dreams, and I can’t get you out of my mind.

Me: So you kind of love me, right?

Brendan: I want to give myself to you

Me: Sorry, I don’t accept cheap gifts.

Brendan: Will you please come with me on a date?

Me: No just isn’t an answer for you, is it?

Brendan: Never.

I didn’t respond. It would just encourage him more.

Brendan: I’ll take that as a yes, and I’ll pick you up tonight at 7

I was about to reply when the teacher interrupted me.

“Lisa, how long does it take to find something in your purse?” She looked at me pointedly.

“As long as it takes you to realize that purses are monsters that need to die in hell for eating items,” I pushed stuff around for good measure.

Me: No, I am not going on a date with you

Brendan: Dress casually

I contemplating sending various angry texts, but decided against it.

Brendan didn’t respond after that, so I admitted temporary defeat. There really was no point in arguing with him unless it was in person so I could punch him for effect. For the rest of the day, I couldn’t find him. The office said he was sick, and had been sent home. I silently created a list of ways to kill him without being caught in my mind on my way home.