45. Going For A Picnic

Start from the beginning

Jett shook his head. He wasn't sure what the man was so afraid for. No one was going to hurt him as long as he didn't try to run off. Though knowing Raven, he probably failed to explain that part to Andrew.

With a great whoosh, Raven unfurled the rolled up paper, and laid it down on the roof.

"Oh!" Ava's soft exclamation drew Jett's attention.He looked at the paper, which Raven was using as a picnic blanket, and immediately blanched.

It was a very large painting, and it was definitely not something that should ever see the light of day. One look and Jett wanted to erase his own memory. Or burn the thing with fire.

"Oh, that's disgusting." Moxie didn't think much of it either. "Why did you bring that?"

"We needed something to sit on," Raven said, like it was obvious. "Roofs are dirty. You don't want to sit down and get dirt all over your clothes, do you?"

"That painting is dirtier than the roof!"

Ava gave an embarrassed giggle. "It's...a bit colorful, isn't it?"

Soft footfalls on the roof announced the arrival of another scout. She'd climbed the ladder while carrying a heavy metal box fastened shut with a complicated lock. She calmly went over to Raven and offered him the lockbox.

"Perfect." He took it, and set it down in the middle of the painting. "I think that's everything we needed. Now then, let's sit in, shall we?"

The last thing Jett wanted to do was sit on that painting. But Raven had no qualms about it. He lowered himself right over a particularly spicy section of artistry, and Andrew wordlessly collapsed on the corner farthest from him.

Ava's cheeks flushed lightly as she sat across from Raven. Her eyes danced, making Jett think suspect that she was actually enjoying the whole affair.

"Come on, you two. Sit." Raven patted the painting.

"You're a sick man," Moxie muttered. But she finally went over and plopped down next to Ava.

With a resigned sigh, Jett chose the last open area, which was near Raven. His gaze fell on the lockbox. "What's in there?"

"Nightmares." Raven gestured, and Moxie passed over the basket of food. He proceeded to treat the lockbox like a little table, and began setting out the food. "Don't worry about it."

Just because he said that, Jett was going to worry about it even more. His gaze went out towards the horizon, passing over the outlines of many buildings. The afternoon sun cast long shadows, shielding half the city with a layer of darkness. The hairs on the back of his neck lifted.

"They're watching us," he softly said.

"Who is?" Moxie asked. She looked around, trying to see what he was talking about.

Raven's lips curved. "I know. Would you like some bread, Jett?"

Jett stared at his brother. Then he wordlessly held out his hand. Raven placed the bread in it. With a savage chomp, Jett tore off a chunk of the hardened brick. He chewed and chewed, and wondered how long it would take before this picnic went spectacularly wrong.

***

Raith lowered the binoculars, and considered what he'd just witnessed. While it seemed that part of his plan had been successful, he'd never expected the other party to throw in a twist like this.

There was no denying that the master of Shann Tei, whoever he was, was both brilliant and mad. He was also extraordinarily cocky. But pride comes before a fall. And soon enough, you'll see that for yourself.