|| 𝐓𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐬 𝐄𝐝𝐚𝐱 𝐑𝐞𝐫𝐮𝐦 ||

Comenzar desde el principio

What happened?

Samsa explained slowly, starting with Valentina's infiltration of the facility's computers, leading to the lights going out and Admiral Nichols getting involved. "She knew about your abilities, Mason. I don't know how, but it's why she took you too." It was impossible to decipher the emotions that flashed across his face. Samsa took hold of his hands and squeezed them. "Did you see anything while you were out?"

The way he looked at her...Samsa dreaded the answer to that question. He seemed as though he was about to form some kind of response when his eyes grew wide, staring at something past Samsa's shoulder. She turned in time to see the door to the room open. 

The man that entered wore midnight-black gear, complimenting the darkness of his chin-length hair. He was tall and muscular, despite his slender build, and carried with him a large knife. A menacing smirk painted his lips as he headed straight for them.

Samsa tried to shield Mason by planting herself in front of him, but it was pointless. The guard grabbed her shoulders, shoving her so hard that she skidded across the floor and collided with the opposite wall. Pain scorched her side and she felt several of her ribs crack with the impact. 

She watched through blurred vision as the guard use his knife to cut through the restraints around Mason's ankles before haling him up and dragging him towards the door. Her friend tried to fight back but whoever this guard was...his strength was remarkable for a human. Samsa was helpless, barely managing to cry Mason's name before the door shut behind them. 

☆☆☆

Luna kept a keen eye on Regan as she followed him down the corridor. She must have traced Jenwyn's name on her arm a dozen times, but it was the only thing keeping her sane. Five-hundred and seventy-nine years. That was how long had passed since the annihilation of her race. 

She had entombed the memories long ago. However, little details often slipped through the cracks and came back to haunt her. She could still feel the weight of the dress she had been wearing that day, the sensation of the skirt sticking to her legs with the blood that had soaked the hem. Samsa's screams as they ran for the escape ship were etched into her brain. Now, after all that death and torment, there was supposedly a way to find other Sanguines. 

Luna was willing to try anything for a chance that she and her sister weren't alone but part of her was still conflicted over leaving the others behind. If anything happened to them...Founders, she dreaded to think. Above all, she had to protect the Captain. When Patsy died, it had been catastrophic for Samsa. If her sister lost another love, Luna feared she would never be the same again.

"It's just at the end of this hallway," Regan said, still nursing the incision made by the knife. 

They turned a final corner, leading onto a smaller corridor and Luna's nerves doubled. The door at the end was embellished with a single word: Imperium. Regan swiped his card through the locking mechanism and gestured for her to enter first. Luna did so, gingerly. Turns out, there was nothing to be watchful of just yet. 

A cosy office lay beyond the door, lined by dark oak wood shelves. She stepped inside and became engulfed by the musty smell of old books. Upon closer inspection, the shelves had their own Latin inscriptions dancing between the works of literature that occupied them. A certain lawyer immediately came to mind. Luna had no doubt that he would adore this room. 

A huge desk resided at the other end accompanied by multiple cabinets. Luna assumed they would be settling there but Regan walked in the opposite direction, heading for the bookcase instead. He pressed his index finger flat against the spine of a particular emerald-coloured book and took a step back.