|| 𝐓𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐬 𝐄𝐝𝐚𝐱 𝐑𝐞𝐫𝐮𝐦 ||

Pain. It started as a dull ache in the base of Samsa's skull but when she eventually managed to peel her eyes open, the front of her head exploded with it. Nausea rolled through her insides and she took a deep breath, desperately trying to keep the contents of her stomach. Everything around her was a blur of dark shapes, only making the dizziness worse.

Samsa squeezed her eyes shut and curled in on herself, feeling a cold, hard surface beneath her. Whatever material had been used to bind her wrists and ankles was too strong to break. Who had done this to her? The last she remembered, she was in the library with the others and the power went out. So, why could she taste blood?

There were too many smells as well. Blood was one of them, but a stronger metallic tang resided alongside it mixed with another musty, powdery aroma. Samsa could feel what was creating that scent - some kind of sand-like substance coating the floor she lay on.

When her light-headedness finally dimmed, she gradually propped herself up as best she could with the restraints. Only then did Samsa notice she wasn't alone. None other than Mason True lay a few feet away...and she couldn't hear a heartbeat.

Adrenaline took over. She disregarded her pain and clambered to his side, oncoming tears already burning her throat. His skin was still icy-cold but under the dim lighting, Samsa could see his chest rising and falling with even breaths. Her relief doubled when she found the pulse on his wrist beating steadily.

Mason was alive.

The Sanguine took a few moments to compose herself before looking around. A series of gas lamps provided a dingy glow, just about bright enough to illuminate the room. It was small, just over ten by seven feet, and seemed to be some kind of storage space, home to several filing cabinets. This couldn't be Starbase Eleven. The air felt different...somewhat thicker.

Samsa looked back at her friend and shook him, lightly. "Mason, wake up..." She trailed off and frowned. Her voice sounded incredibly distant as if she was being held underwater.

Maybe she had been drugged? Could that be the reason she was unable to hear Mason's heartbeat? To make sure, Samsa rubbed at her ears, hoping to get the sensation back. She froze when her fingers found something sticky dried to her skin. Blood.

Everything came rushing back to her. Admiral Nichols. Her demands to take Mason. The device she had used. Section Thirty-One had taken them. But what had they done to the others in the library? Killed them? Was there anyone left to trust in the higher ranks of Starfleet?

Panic writhed its way through Samsa's gut. She scrambled towards the nearest cabinet and used it to get to her feet. The rushed movement sent her head spinning but there was no time to waste. Surely, there was something in this room that she could use as a weapon? She limped to the door and tried the handle. Locked. Maybe, with enough force, she could-

Someone gripped her upper arm. Samsa whipped around, her body jerking with the unexpected contact. It was Mason. He looked just as distressed as she felt, blinking tears down his cheeks as he maintained a tight grasp on her bicep. His lips moved hastily but she failed to hear a single word. Just a muffled mess. 

Samsa shook her head and pressed her bound hands against his chest. "Mason, I-I'm sorry. I can't hear you. They...they've done something to my ears. Are you okay? Y-you collapsed." She had no idea whether her words were forming coherently or not. 

Thankfully, Mason seemed to understand. He motioned to himself and gave her two thumbs up but Samsa was nowhere near convinced. His hands were tremoring and his cheeks held no colour whatsoever. She allowed him to guide her back into the centre of the room, where he sat them down again and traced letters into the sandy material coating the floor.