|| 𝐈'𝐦 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 ||

Mental Health Officer Log. Stardate: 2260.03.12

At this point, it became obvious that the duplication had changed something within us. Jim was finding it harder and harder to make decisions, almost as if he'd lost his strength of will. And me...I barely had any control over my bloodlust.

☆☆☆

Samsa felt relieved when Jim left and headed to the Bridge. One less heartbeat for her to worry about. Plus, Jim seemed to have the pulse that she was most drawn to. She looked at the abundance of sample crates, her gaze lingering on the one containing Rupert's opposite.

"We'll get this fixed, Lass, don't you worry," Scotty assured.

The Blonde smiled but in reality her mind was racing. She desperately wanted to find her doppelganger and stop her from hurting anyone. At the same time, she wanted to find a solution to get the landing party back on board. There were too many lives at stake.

"Doctor Gillian, would you mind assisting me with these specimen cases?" Spock suddenly asked from the door. "I believe Mister Scott will be able to work on the transporter more effectively if they are out of his way."

"Of course," Samsa said. She pulled herself together and picked up the nearest one. "Where are we taking them?"

"A laboratory on the upper decks will suffice."

It was a welcome distraction for Samsa. They managed to move all of the cases in three trips, and during that time, her hunger didn't spike once. All the collected specimens, including little Rupert, were placed in the Botany Lab on deck three.

Samsa had the privilege of carrying Rupert. She thought it would be cruel to put him back in a crate. When it was time to drop him off, she prolonged letting go and nestled her face in his fur instead. Rupert purred in response, snuggling into the crook of her neck.

"After spending a considerable amount of time among humans, I have become accustomed to their many characteristics or, to be more accurate, been inundated by them..." Spock began, placing his arms behind his back. He raised a quizzical eyebrow. "And one of those characteristics involves being particularly fond of small animals. I've observed that humans often seek comfort from them."

"That's right," Samsa grinned. She continued running a hand through Rupert's fur. "I too have managed to pick up that trait over the years."

"My point is, Doctor Gillian..." The Vulcan trailed off. He seemed somewhat wary to continue. "...I wanted to ask how you are feeling about the current situation."

Samsa was taken aback at first. She knew how difficult it was for Spock to talk about emotions, yet he looked to be genuinely curious about her answer. "Honestly," she began. "I'm feeling a lot of things. I'm worried about Jim. I'm worried about my sister. I'm worried about the rest of the landing party." She paused, taking a moment to find her words. "Most of all...I'm terrified that this duplicate of me is going to hurt people."

Spock narrowed his eyes. "You believe she will be violent even when unprovoked?"

"I...I'm worried that she'll...that she'll feed from someone, or use her compulsion. I'm shocked there hasn't been reports already."

"Fascinating," Spock said, catching her off-guard.

"What is?"

He took a step forward. "In my youth, those around me constantly suggested that the Human side of my nature was the negative one, and the Vulcan was the positive." There was a brief pause. Spock dropped his gaze. "My mother was one of few who never judged them apart from one another. It has taken me a long time to come to terms with who I am."