|| 𝐒𝐢 𝐕𝐮𝐥𝐭𝐮𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐭 𝐎𝐜𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐞 ||

Hi readers! I'm putting the author's note here because this is quite a long chapter. So sorry for the lack of updates. I've had so much uni work to do but I'm hoping to get back to my regular uploads soon! Thank you so so much for reading and I hope you enjoy this chapter!

A harsh bleeping from his communicator caused Mason to jolt awake. He grimaced at the ache in his neck, most likely thanks to the position he'd been sleeping in: face down on the desk in his room. It took a great amount of effort to stay awake as he flipped his communicator open.

"Luna?" Her name slipped out naturally. Mason wanted - no - needed it to be her.

"Mason? I'm sorry, it's me. Samsa."

Though the voice of his best friend was a welcome one, he couldn't help feeling a shudder of disappointment. "Hey, Sams. Are-are you alright? Luna said you and Jim had an argument."

"I'm okay. More worried about you really. The team have just left for the observation mission but Luna asked me to check on you. Mason, have you...have you seen something else?"

It was no surprise that Samsa sounded incredibly distressed. At first, Mason struggled to decipher her words, but the question he was terrified to answer sounded so clear. He rubbed his eyes with a shaking hand and tried to take a deep breath. "I...it...it's difficult to explain."

"Could you come down to the Starbase?"

"Yeah, I-I'll join the next shore leave slot."

"Thank you. I'll see you soon, okay?"

"See you soon."

The communication ended and Mason staggered to his feet, wincing as his vision momentarily darkened. He couldn't understand why he felt so weak and shaky. Maybe it was a side effect of the visions? Or lack of decent sleep? Whatever the cause, it didn't matter. His main concern was talking to Samsa. The sooner he did that, the sooner they could help Luna and the others.

Mason rushed to get dressed, chucking his Academy jacket on over a standard black Starfleet shirt. He just about flattened the tufts of his hair that were sticking up in odd places, but nothing could hide the darkness around his eyes or the paleness of his skin.

The next shore leave slot was just about to depart when he reached the Transporter room. Beaming down was painful for numerous reasons. For starters, the flash of bright lights ignited a horrific ache around his temples and the process caused another wave of dizziness to rattle his frame.

On the Enterprise, it had been mid-afternoon but it was still nine in the morning on Starbase Eleven. The time difference was disorientating enough without the buzzing atmosphere of the central plaza. Thankfully, Samsa was there to meet him. Mason walked straight into her open arms, accepting the hug he desperately needed.

Upon pulling away, Samsa's eyes widened as she looked him up and down. "Founders, Mason! Are you okay?"

He chuckled and rubbed the side of his head. "Oh, I think I'm just tired."

"When was the last time you ate something?"

Mason went to answer but stalled, drawing his eyebrows into a frown. He tried to think back but his head felt too frazzled. "I don't...what day is it today?"

It seemed impossible, but Samsa's eyes widened even more. "I'm taking you for breakfast."

"Sams..." Mason trailed off and sighed. The thought of food made him feel queasy. "We've got more important things-"

"Nope." The Blonde gently linked their arms and started guiding him towards one of the countless main streets. "You're important too."

Samsa found them a window seat in a small diner where all kinds of food from different Federation planets was available. When Mason's chosen dish arrived - a plate of bacon strips, French toast and, Andorian pancakes - he picked at it with his fork.