|| 𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐋𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭 ||

Mental Health Officer Log. Stardate: 2260.03.12

By this point, temperatures on the planet's surface were dropping rapidly with the approaching storm. Our landing party was stuck in growing jeopardy, including my sister. It was painful, but we couldn't risk beaming them up. Due to the ship's transporter malfunction, we knew that unexplained duplicates of myself and Jim definitely existed. The question was, how far were they willing to go with their dark nature.

☆☆☆

Luna squinted her eyes as she scanned the blurred horizon for what had to be the hundredth time. With every passing second, the severe weather grew closer. The beautiful mountains and structures of ice in the distance could no longer be seen, covered by a thick sheen of snowfall - courtesy of the oncoming storm.

"So let me get this straight," she began, twirling to meet Hendorff's eyes. "We can't beam back up and the shuttles can't come and get us either?"

The man's face broke out into a sarcastic smile. "Look at that," he mused. "You actually do listen to me from time to time!"

"Don't get used to it," Luna quipped. She looked around at the other members of the group. Everyone was cold but no one was shivering more than Pavel Chekov.

"They...they'll figure s-something out," he stammered. "They always do."

"Loving the optimism, Kid, but we should still prepare for the worst." Luna caught his eyes and sent him a sincere smile. One that she hoped would bring some form of comfort, despite their situation.

"Who put you in charge?" Hendorff scoffed from beside her.

"No one," she said with an eye roll. "I'm just stating the obvious."

"Luna's right. We should make a shelter," Sulu said. He took a step forward and assessed the equipment they still had with them. "We can use the waterproof sheets and emergency blankets to form some kind of tent. Plus, there's gotta be something out there to keep a fire going."

"I don't mind stretching my legs a little." Luna fumbled for her pack of cigarettes and lighter as she began to trek through the snow.

"I'll go with you," Hendorff called from behind. "That way I can keep an eye on you."

She turned and dramatically feigned offence. "Your lack of trust wounds me, Officer."

"Please be careful!" Benita urged before they were out of earshot. "I doubt Rupert is the biggest creature able to live in these conditions."

The Romulan's warning was one that Luna hadn't considered. Benita was right. There could be anything lurking in the valleys beyond their camp. Whether the storm would deter potential predators from attacking was another question entirely.

Hendorff acknowledged Benita's concern and caught up with Luna as she began to head down the slope back to the frozen rock pools. She retrieved another cigarette and attempted to light it but the wind was choosing not to co-operate.

"How many of those things have you had?" Hendorff asked, his voice slightly muffled by the wind.

"Three," Luna called.

"Aren't they bad for you?"

"They're bad for you," she corrected. "My sister and I have regenerative cells in our lungs."

Hendorff pursed his lips. "Fair enough."

Luna gave up and pocketed the cigarette before they continued trekking through the snow in silence.

The further out they went, the more difficult it became to see. Luna was trying her best to memorise the path they walked for the return journey.

"There!" Hendorff suddenly cried.