% . . . 1

now playing:ㅤattentionㅤ ılllı
ㅤㅤ ㅤ newjeans
0:00 ─●──────── -0:00
ㅤ⇆ㅤ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ㅤ ↻

ㅤㅤㅤ ☰ queue

"dare." And that, determined niki's fate to be involved in your business.

"ask out the next person through the door," jungwon fired, bursting into a fit of laughter at his friend's pained expression. Regret filled the boy as he looked at the door anxiously, awaiting the next person intently.

"do i have to do it right then and there?" the younger boy drawled, sending his two friends beside them into a fit of yes's, their eyes not leaving sight of the door of the cafeteria for a second.

A distance away from the doors stood you, fumbling with your sweater. You filmed the previous routine in a more secluded area, not exactly nervous since onlookers were absent. But the next location was the cafeteria, sending chills through your spine.

You walk through the hallways to the cafeteria with anything but confidence. When your friend, minji, said it'd be a small gig alongside academics, you should've restrained from her desperate pleas to get you to join their dance club.

This is definitely not what you thought you were signing yourself up for. Dance was something that came naturally to you, the expression of emotions though either soft or rigid beats or none at all, using your body appealed to you, mastering it and turning the art into your forte. Beside your impeccable talent, the massive obstacle was that you were too shy to dance around anyone other than those close.

Your aura changed when it came to the expression, executing the sentiments with each soft yet rigid movement with apt emphasis. A prodigy praised many, but your timid attitude needed to go.

With that minji tiresomely tried to break the hardened shell and to no avail. So her next best solution happened to be this; helping you gain confidence in your skills and meeting the member requirements for her next routine. "i'm a genius!" she had exclaimed enthusiastically, much varied from her current tense stature and furrowed brows.

Danielle, who was also a part of the team had forgotten to learn the choreo with no one else to fill the spot. The others were assigned different songs and no one covered dani's part, the current situation arose and you were seen to dance alone, by yourself.

"danielle, you were supposed to learn the choreography of hype boy with yn–"

"I thought we were filming attention today and hype boy tomorrow," the rebuttal ended with confusion and a sigh of frustration from minji.

You were more than expected to carry out the routine alone but the faint of eyes scared the living shit out of you. Shrinking in your shell, you raise your palm to minji aware, "i'll do it," you say, with absolutely no grounds of your voice, your words heard as a light whisper.

Minji heard your mumble and her frustration turned into worry, "you don't have to push yourself, we can film tomorrow," she stated, sympathising with you and your courage. You'd be lying if you said her offer wasn't tempting.

"the deadlines in a week for the competition, moreover we have to practise the routine for cookie," You stood contemplating out the doors of the cafeteria, recalling your connotations to minji before you agreed to join the club.

"the last thing i want is attention, minji"

You didn't want minji's endeavour to end sourly, and that led you to step up and face your sheepish fears. There came your predicament, and you'd never wanted more than to just crawl in a hole and hide.

Minji gave you a small push to the door with a soft and proud smile. You went through the doorway before the rest, hyein trailing behind and taking the lead ahead of you, adjusting the camera and setting it to the right angle while you merely managed yourself from fainting. The number of eyes surrounding you seemed to multiply tenfold when the music began.

All while the curious trio peered at you from a distance, rowdy and loud, shouts, "it's her," from their table. One jet haired boy face planting, dropping his head to the table with a thump. They began chanting his name, while the supposed main character lifted his head, flushed with a shade of red painted over his cheeks and ears.

"they seem busy, can't i ask her out later," he winces, creasing his forehead. Sunoo shook his head frivolously, urging niki out of his seat. And off he went sprinting over to the spot, avoiding the camera, observing you warming up.

He smiled at you with a nod, whispering a few words of notice to minji while he responded enthusiastically making it appear to be something of the positive sort since minji fervently nodded with a thumbs up.

The music boomed overhead, the adrenaline coursing through your veins, like a jolt of electricity almost. You played with your hair, fixing it and peering at minji with desperate orbs, solely for her to grin at you, shouting words of encouragement.

You started with the pre chorus, meeting the minimum required length for the short video feature and competition. You sprawled your arms to the front, forming them in a circle and over your head on both sides, skipping to the right twice on your toes.

You began feeling rather stiff from the amount of people judging you. It would've been much better to have someone beside you also doing the routine, sharing the burden of the mass of onlookers.

Minji's smile caught the corner of your eye while you barely fared to look at the camera. You prepared yourself for the chorus that followed and entered the boy with a lunge, dancing to former danielle's part alongside you. You swiped the invisible dirt off your shoulder and he copied along.

He seemed to know the choreo beforehand, his movements outshining your own. The two garnered more attention from passerbyers. He shuffled to the left and hit all the point moves danielle would've covered had she remembered to learn the dance. At the end of the chorus, the crowd was going feral, yells singing to the song while the others cheered.

The verse continued and niki motioned to the camera with a half held hand heart, waiting for you to complete it. You shy away, minji exclaiming from beside you out of the frame, ushering you to complete it. You shook your head with a laugh, completing his silly heart with silly sentiments.

"and cut!" shouted hyein, a huge smile plastered on her front, the rest cheering for you both. You turn to niki with a grin out of both thankfulness and timidness, "thank you," he waved the gesture off.

The crowd began to disperse, sunoo and jungwon looking at their friend through the throngs of people with a death glare. Niki's heart was pounding as you turned away to look at your friends.

"can i ask you a question?" he piped up, his bottom lip disappearing between his teeth out of nerves. The calm atmosphere returned except for niki's anxiousness. It quieted down, and you hummed with interest, meeting his gaze, "yes,"

"will you go out with me?"