Chapter 9 ~ Children Again

December 2, 2022
Longford Castle, Pyrus, Genovia

"Is everything ready for when they arrive?" Addy asked her sister and their friend, as they walked through the castle.

Lily looked down at the clipboard in her hands, "Yep, all of the guest rooms have been prepared, the Christmas decorations are being brought out of storage as we speak, as well as the ramp for mattress surfing. We're all set, just waiting on everyone to arrive."

"Who all are coming?" Mia asked.

"All of the British Royals, except for Prince Andrew, are coming, and should start arriving any minute now, and staying for a week. Helen, Patrick and Trevor are arriving tomorrow, as is Asana, and my darling goddaughter Aimee should be here today as well." Addy said.

"When will my brother be arriving, Mia?" Lily asked with a small smirk.

Mia grinned, "He should be here today as well."

"I still can't believe that after all we went through, searching for you a husband, you ended up with your high school sweetheart." Addy rolled her eyes playfully.

"Have you two set a date for the wedding yet?"
Lily asked.

"We have and we will be announcing it at dinner in front of everyone." Mia nodded.

"I'm so excited, this dinner is going to be great." Addy said.

"Forget dinner, I'm ready to party." Lily said causing everyone to laugh.

~~~~~~~~~

It was now noon, most of their guests had arrived and were now gathered in the large drawing room.

Mia and Addy stood about halfway up the staircase preparing to address their guest, and Mia gently tapped her heel against the step to gain everyone's attention.

"I would like to begin by welcoming you all to Genovia, or welcoming you back, in some cases." Mia said with a smile.

"Many of you have been here before and know how we do things, but for those of you haven't been here before, allow me to explain." Addy smiled, "Christmas in Genovia is a big deal, but probably not for the reasons you may think. When I was little, my Papa wanted to give me a normal Christmas experience. For the entire month of December, with a few exceptions, he made it seem as if we weren't royal. It eventually became tradition and now I'm excited to share that with all of you."

"As long as you are in this castle, you can leave all the worries of the royal life behind.  Smart clothes aren't aloud, wear your pajamas all day everyday if you would like. Don't worry about being proper, it's all about having fun. Our staff members have been told to forgo formal greeting, such as bows or curtsies, although they don't always listen to that rule." Mia said earning several laughs around the room.

"The older kiddos have their own rooms and for those of you with babies, you will have conjoined rooms, one for you and one set up for your baby." Addy informed.

"We'll show you to your rooms, let you get settled in and by then dinner should be ready." Mia said

"And not that we've said everything that Nana told us to, let's have fun!" Addy yelled.

~~~~~~~~~~

Hours later, everyone was gathered around a long table with loads of food places in front of them.

"Welcome, everyone, I know this isn't a formal dinner, so I won't give a full speech, but I would like to explain one thing. I'm sure you've all noticed that there is an empty chair." Clarisse motioned to the empty chair set at one end of the table, "When Phillipe passed, Rosalie and I wanted a special way to keep him in our everyday lives. The head of the table was always his place when we would have a simple family dinner. We started leaving the extra chair as a way to remember him, but as the years past it had became a way to honor everyone that isn't able to be here with us today. I know this has been a hard year for us all, so I ask that you all try to enjoy yourselves while you are here." Clarisse said.