"Whoa, easy, tiger," the man said.

Sam breathed hard. "Dean?" Dean laughed. "You scared the crap out of me!"

"That's 'cause you're out of practice."

Sam grabbed Dean's hand and yanked, slamming his heel into Dean's back and Dean to the floor.

"Or not," Dean stated.

Dean tapped Sam twice where he was holding him. "Get off of me."

Sam rolled to his feet and pulled Dean up. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Well, I was looking for a beer." Dean put his hands on Sam's shoulders, shook once, and let go.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"Okay. All right. We gotta talk."

"Uh, the phone?"

"If I'd'a called, would you have picked up?"

Jess turned the light on. She was wearing very short shorts and a cropped Smurfs shirt. "Sam?"

Sam and Dean turned their heads in unison.

"Jess. Hey. Dean, this is my girlfriend, Jessica."

Dean looked at Jess appreciatively.

"Wait, your brother Dean?" Jess asked, smiling.

Sam nodded. Dean grinned at her and moved closer. "Oh, I love the Smurfs. You know, I gotta tell you. You are completely out of my brother's league."

"Just let me put something on."

Jess turned to go. Dean's voice stopped her. "No, no, no, I wouldn't dream of it. Seriously."

Dean went back over to Sam without taking his eyes off Jess. Sam watched him, his expression stony.

Dean continued. "Anyway, I gotta borrow your boyfriend here, talk about some private family business. But, uh, nice meeting you."

"No," Sam argued, going over to Jess and putting an arm around her. "No, whatever you want to say, you can say it in front of her."

"Okay." Dean turned to look at the two straight on. "Um. Dad hasn't been home in a few days."

"So he's working overtime on a Miller Time shift. He'll stumble back in sooner or later."

Dean ducked his head and looked back up. "Dad's on a hunting trip. And he hasn't been home in a few days."

Sam's expression didn't change while he took the words in. Jess glanced up at him.

"Jess, excuse us. We have to go outside."

INT. STAIRWELL – NIGHT

Sam and Dean headed downstairs. Sam had put on jeans and a hoodie.

Sam spoke. "I mean, come on. You can't just break in, middle of the night, and expect me to hit the road with you."

"You're not hearing me, Sammy," Dean replied. "Dad's missing. I need you and Tasie to help me find him."

"You remember the poltergeist in Amherst? Or the Devil's Gates in Clifton? He was missing then, too. He's always missing, and he's always fine."

Dean stopped and turned around. Sam stopped too. "Not for this long. Now are you gonna come with me or not?"

"I'm not."

"Why not?"

"I swore I was done hunting. For good. Tasie's done hunting."