↣ chapter eleven

It was past midnight, the house already have their lights off inside with everyone knocked out in their respective rooms, tired of the busy day that ended

Everyone except Heejung.

She carefully stepped out of the bottom bunk bed, slipping her feet into her slippers. Looking out the window that displayed the enchanting stars sprinkled on the dark canvas, gleaming so brightly, it left her in utter awe.

Carefully walking to the door to not wake Macie, she went out to pass time at the wide porch as she could not put herself to sleep.

She was greeted by a clearer view of the full moon, comforting her in the rather windy night. She allowed her mind to wander from the tunes she used earlier in the session, themes to go with it, the meeting set the next morning, and the revisions she might receive from the senior staff. She had grown used to the criticisms but sometimes, it could be too much to bear knowing the efforts she put into it to meet the perfection every artist craves to attain.

Bitter could those words be, and it is only with the aid of Hangyul that Heejung is able to swallow it.

The unsettled matter between the them has never been touched since. It's not that they're uncomfortable around each other. The banters are still there and perhaps it is the only thing that makes it bearable for them to stay in the same room without feeling too conscious of each other's presence and their unspoken concerns.

She didn't know when was the right time to ask him. She was not even sure if she'll get an honest reply to her inquiry once they find the time to seriously talk.

The wind wafted against her skin, making her hair slap on her face. She brushed it off with her dry hands and shook her mind off the matter, not wanting to dwell on overthinking it.

"You seem to be in deep thought."

Her sentimental lookback came into a halt. She turned to the voice that came and found Hangyul plastering a soft smile as he made his way to the vacant chair next to her. His eyes flickered to the moon as if he's acknowledging its pious presence.

"Hope I didn't disturb you. You looked like you were gonna cry in seconds." Heejung laughed at his silly comment.

"I wasn't!"

"Sure. But here. Just in case." He handed her his hanky, to which she pushed off lightly with a chuckle.

"Stop..." she said, shaking her head.

"Why're you up?" He asked, resting his elbows on his knees as he leant forward, twining his fingers together.

"Can't sleep. You?"

"Same."

For a few seconds, silence filled in the air as they both thought of what to say next. It was not awkward, it's just not the same as before.