I smiled shyly when he cleared his throat. "You've outdone yourself," he praised while gesturing to the mountain of food behind me, "as always."

A blush speckled over my face as I chewed on the inside of my cheek. Truth is, I would always outdo myself when it came to the man standing in front of me. It was almost second nature now.

"The others should be arriving soon..." Sorren began. His hands reached out to mine, clasping them gently. I had to keep myself from pulling out of his grasp in shock. It had been days since we last touched during the walk to my apartment, so it was unexpected.

"I wanted to thank you," he inched closer to me, "but I don't think words are enough." I could feel his breath fan over my face.

Was it normal for people to stand so close when talking? Especially in public? It just seemed so intimate. Something I'd never experienced before, which made it difficult to differentiate between what was right. Was our connection real, or part of my hopeless romantic fantasy?

His fingers lifted up to push a strand of my hair from my forehead, "Will you wait for me?"

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion, but his hand fell from my hair to my forehead. His fingers pressed against the furrowed skin, smoothing the wrinkles.

"After the meeting," he briefly paused, showing a hint of uncertainty, "I have some things I want to talk with you about."

I froze from nerves, staring up at him. I was oblivious to my own teeth ravaging my bottom lip, a nervous habit of mine. Again, his hand dropped lower. This time his thumb pressed into my bottom lip, pulling it free. The pad of his thumb swept over the wet, swollen skin as his eyes followed his own movement.

He breathed, "You'll wait, won't you?"

I couldn't place the emotion behind his voice, but I knew at this moment I would do anything the older man asked of me. In response, I nodded my head confidently.

I would wait for him.

No matter what he had to tell me, I'd be there, good or bad. I would face these anxious butterflies filling my stomach for whatever outcome there was.

Satisfied with my answer, he pulled away from me. With perfect timing, guests began trickling into the office room. The first to appear were two older gentlemen, probably around the age of Sorren's father, had he been alive. They were dressed expensively, which explained why Sorren put extra effort into his outfit today. Everyone looked as though they were walking a red carpet event instead of attending a business meeting. 

Then again, what would I know? I knew nothing of the business world- of Sorren's world.

With a passing look at the people filtering into the room, it was clear why Sorren was so overwhelmed by the meeting. These people had power. A power that could either build or destroy and hopefully today they were interested in only the former.

After I greeted and served each guest to the best of my ability, I took my leave. Sorren and I agreed that the meeting would be a private event, so after my initial service, I would leave them to fend for themselves.

I would leave Sorren to fend for himself. 

__________

The meeting lasted longer than agreed upon. Originally planned to last somewhere around an hour, it took over two hours for the doors to open again, signaling the end.

As the guests began their courteous goodbyes, I slipped my way back into the room to start clearing away the mess they created. Surprisingly, there was very little food left, even though I made more than necessary. I wasn't complaining though, as it meant less to carry home.