First day at work

*******************NEW PART ADDED 29/08/2017******************** 

Luke's POV

I woke to a beeping and buzzing noise, it took me a moment to realise that it was the alarm on my phone. It was on the coffee table flashing and vibrating. I leaned forward and switched it off, and glanced at the time 7:30, I had finished cleaning the hall around 3:30am and tried to get some sleep. I must have fallen a sleep around 4:15, as that was the last time I looked at my watch.

I sat up and leaned forward rubbing my neck, yesterday didn't seem real. I heard the floorboards creak upstairs. Mary and Terry must be up. I thought I would put the kettle on for them, I stood up and picked up my phone, I need to phone Tom and tell him I wont be able to make it in today, not a call I was looking forward to. Phoning in on my first day of my dream job. It wasn't supposed to be like this, it was supposed to be prefect, happy, exciting. Instead it was horrid, painful and unbelievable.

Walking into the kitchen I heard someone walking downstairs, I paused to greet them, it was Mary, she put on a weak smile and said "Good morning" I smiled back just as weak "Good morning Mary. Tea?" her smile grow. "That would be lovely thank you Luke." I walked in to the kitchen and Mary followed. "Can I help?" Mary's voice was so calm and caring. "That would be very kind of you Mary, I am afraid I cant offer you much for breakfast, we never got round to shopping, but I can do some toast." Shopping such a simple word but a word that was so painful. I was useless at shopping, Claire also knew what we needed and had all the meals planned in her head. I never forget that time last year when Claire had flu and couldn't get out of bed, I thought I would surprise her and do the shopping, and what a disaster that was! I forgot half the stuff and what I did buy was wrong. I bought stuff we didn't use or eat, I got in to such a flap, Claire laughed and laughed when I told her, she still mocks me to this day. Thinking back at that memory of Claire being happy and laughing made me smile and let out a little chuckle. Mary noticed. "That's lovely to see you smile, what you think about." I looked into Mary's eyes "Your beautiful, wonderful daughter and how I messed up when I went food shopping with out her." Mary placed her hand on my shoulder. "It will be ok. Claire will get better and things will get back to normal." Her gentle touch was warming and reassuring. Just has the kettle had boiled I felt my phone buzz and then beep in my pocket, I had a text message. I took the phone out of my pocket unlocked it and looked at the screen, damn it was from Luke.

"Mornin Tom hope ur looking forward to today, can u go in 30 mins early plz want to ave a quick meet with u b4 we start, we have loads to do and I need to bring u quickly, as I need u to sort out the overseas problem b4 we lose it...... no pressure lol , c u later L"

A deep sigh left me and Mary must have noticed the concerned look on my face. "Whats wrong Luke?" Mary too now looked worried. "Oh its nothing Mary, just Luke, my boss wants me to go in early and I was going to ring him and ask him if I could have the day off." I let out another sigh. "But its not looking good." I looked at Mary with pleading eyes. "What do I do! I cant go to work like this, I cant leave Claire."

Terry walked into the kitchen while I was speaking. "Whats going on? Whats wrong?" Mary filled Terry in on my situation. "Look son this jobs important, I know its hard, but maybe you should just in, me and Mary will be with Claire and I promise, I promise if there is any changes I will call you straight away." I looked at Terry in total shock was he for real. Go to work and take my mind of things! What the hell! Is this guy for really, my Claire is laid in a hospital bed and could be dying and its all my fault, but hey yeah I'll just go to work and forget it all, I needed some air. "Ermm look there's milk in the fridge and there's the bread and butter if you want some toast, am erm am going to get some air." I left them looking at each other and headed out of the front door. I didn't know where I was going, just that I needed to clear my head. I walked along our street and towards a little footpath that leads to a park and grass land area.