« ✑ » Chapter 6 - The New Guy

The distant sound of a band could be heard. The walls of the castle carried the music throughout the halls and throughout the courtyard, even falling on the ears of a cloaked larcenist. But they weren't a thief, were they? Not exactly. Not usually.

As they scaled the castle they didn't wonder why they were there. Looking down to see several guards lounging on the ground far below them, they instead wondered why The King still employed such imbeciles. The hooded figure took out a small stone and tossed it towards a far, darkened end of the castle yard.

The noise it made as it impacted seemed to alert every guard simultaneously, all of them hurriedly making their way over to the noise.

Anyone else might have laughed. The Black Whisper remained stoic.

Instead they began to pick the lock on the window they had arrived at, opening it carefully and slinking inside. The room was dark, the only light source being the moonlight pouring in from the window as it illuminated the bookshelves. They walked slowly around the room before eventually locating a shelf that seemed to hold exclusively books for spell casting.

The Black Whisper ran their hand along the spines of the books, reading each title carefully. Then they stopped, suddenly and precisely picking out a book that had been pushed to the back of the shelf. They gently blew the dust from the hardcover.

Volumen de Necromantia...

This is precisely what they had come for.

⸻⸻⸻⸻

。.:* 3 days earlier .。.:*

⸻⸻⸻⸻

Elijah tapped his foot nervously on the ground. How had he ended up being the one to do this?

He sighed. He had been waiting here, inside an abandoned and dishevelled building at the edge of the city, for at least fifteen minutes now. Elijah looked down at his watch again.

He felt a shiver run down his spine suddenly as he was overrun with the impending sense that he was being watched. Fearing it was someone from the rebellion Elijah spun around and drew his knife.

He saw a darkly cloaked person standing in the doorway. Elijah couldn't make out their face because it was covered majorly by cloth, though he noticed they had a bow slung over their back.

"Are you The Black Whisper?" He asked. The cloaked figure nodded but said no more and Elijah lowered his knife. "How do I know that you aren't lying to me?"

The assassin said nothing and Elijah supposed he wouldn't get much more than that.

"I'm guessing you're here because you received our letter?"

...

Nothing.

"And that you've agreed to our terms?" Elijah continued. The figure nodded again.

Elijah sighed and untied the bag that was fastened to his belt, handing it over to The Black Whisper.

They opened the bag and inspected the deposit of gold pieces that lay within before promptly tying the bag up again and stashing it away.

"So is that just it, then?" Elijah sounded frustrated. "Do we have a deal?"

"I will come to you both once the first task is complete," they spoke suddenly. Their voice was completely neutral and devoid of emotion, giving Elijah no clues about their gender or race- or even their reliability.

"What, to the rebellion?" He exclaimed after processing their words. "You're aware of the location of the Blaze Rebellion?"

He received no response.