The Three Month Mark At The Sports Festival

"The three month-mark in a relationship is usually when you either take the relationship to the next level and become more serious, or you decide that love isn't going to grow and you break ties."

POV: Teruhashi Kokomi

I read it at a woman's magazine. I try my best to ignore it, but now that three months has passed by, I'm contemplating if I should take the advice at heart. For these three months, we went on a few dates, struck a few meaningful conversations and spent so much time together.

Wait, we've been acting like an old married couple this entire time!

Not that I'm against it, but I want something more from this relationship. I want to mean more to Saiki.

I can't think about this any longer. There is something more important I have mind, which is the sports festival!

POV: Saiki Kusuo

Teacher: Alright! Looks like most of the categories are taken, all is left is the three legged race!

T: Um, I want take part in this one.

...

A roar of boys erupted, wanting to be Teruhashi's partner.

S: Are you doing what I think you're doing?

T: You know what I'm going to do.

S: Good point.

Te: Alright wait, since a lot of people are volunteering, lets just do a draw!

Te: Looks like Teruhashi's partner is...

S: You don't want to rig the vote?

T: I don't need to.

Te: Saiki Kusuo!

T: See.

As usual, I don't need telepathy to hear the spiteful voices.

T: Lets do our best, Saiki kun!

S: Good grief.

H: Alright! Lets practice!!!!

Everyone: YEAH!!!!

Due to Hairo's fiery motivation, everyone started practicing with just as much passion.

T: Lets go, Saiki-kun!

I stood still, not affected by the motivation.

T: Saiki-kun?

S: You know I can just control our legs with telekinesis?

T: No!

S: Hm?

T: We have to win without using your powers!

I scratched the back of my head and groaned.

S: Do we really have to?

T: Yes we really have to.

She walks to the basket to get the cloth to tie our legs and walks to me.

T: I should've expected someone with powers to be this lazy.

POV: Teruhashi Kokomi

When we started to practice, I expected Saiki to mess up at some point. But he seemed like a natural. I couldn't keep up with him, even though I'm the one teaching him! I sometimes fall on purpose to take his hand.

S: I know you're doing this on purpose.

T: But you're not complaining.

He slightly smiled from my remark.

To be perfectly honest, there isn't much to say during the sports festival. Nothing unusual happened that involved Saiki. We won the three legged race fairly easily. The main reason I dont choose to talk about it because we couldn't even spend time together because it was a school event.

We decided to drop by Saiki's house once again before ending the day.

T: Great job on the three legged race!

S: It's nothing much really.

T: Didn't you want use your powers at first?

S: I would've if you didn't stop me.

T: But it wouldn't be fun.

S: I wasn't expecting to have fun in the sports festival.

There it is. Saiki's usual bluntness.

T: Saiki-kun.

S: Hm?

T: Have you heard of the three month mark?

S: I do.

T: You do?

I didn't expect him to know.

S: I've seen too many people make a big deal out of it.

T: I see...Saiki...

He turned to me.

T: It has been three months...for us....

POV: Saiki Kusuo

I've seen too many people make a big deal out of it.

Seeing high school couples just break up after three months for no reason just seems stupid to me.

Teruhashi stops on her tracks.

T: Saiki...

I turned to her.

T: Its been three months...for us...

She stood still. Her hand is clenching her collar. Her bangs cover her eyes while also covered by the shade from the sunset. Don't tell me she's actually effected by these things? I would still tell her how pointless the three month thing, but it will certainly hurt her feelings.

I guess this is what it means to have a girlfriend. Even if I can know anything about her, I don't know everything about her. Her unpredictability used to trouble me, but now it makes our relationship enjoyable.

Despite how much I dislike this three month theory, there are still some hidden benefits behind it. Like right now, even if its forced, it gives opportunities for relationships to go further.

I took a deep breath.

I lend out my hand to her and smiled.

S: Let's go, Kokomi.

She looked up to me, her whole face is red from blushing. She looked back down and gently put her hand on mine.

S: Good grief. What am I going to do with you.

She did not reply. She just gripped my hand tighter.

We walked to my house while holding hands. No words were spoken the entire trip. My hand is warmed by hers, giving me a sense of closeness to her. When I glanced at her, I only see her blue hair. Shes been avoiding eye contact because she's embarrased.

Maybe this isn't all that bad.