E I G H T

Elaena stood beside Viserys, who sat on the Iron Throne with a rather proud look on his face as Prince Qoren gracefully strode the length of the throne room, his pale yellow robe swishing in an oddly satisfying manner

Elaena stood beside Viserys, who sat on the Iron Throne with a rather proud look on his face as Prince Qoren gracefully strode the length of the throne room, his pale yellow robe swishing in an oddly satisfying manner. His hair was dark and his olive-toned skin contrasted greatly against the yellow of his clothes. On his chest, the yellow sun sigil of House Martell was embroidered beautifully, instantly drawing all eyes to it. 

Behind him was his eldest daughter and heir, Aliandra Martell. Never had Elaena seen a girl so gracious or beautiful. She looked like a tanned goddess, her orange dress a stark contrast to her complexion that matched her father's. Her hair was pulled back in a neat braid, adorned with white daisies throughout its length, and Elaena immediately fell in love with the hairstyle. 

Aliandra's almond-shaped eyes scanned the room quickly, flitting from person to person. When they finally landed on Elaena, her heart skipped a beat and she could feel her cheeks flush. They were a deep brown and they held secrets, secrets Elaena was desperate to learn.

Trailing behind his older sister was Qyle, a man equally as attractive to his sister. He was handsome and he knew it, choosing to dress lavishly and controversially. His shirt had a deep neckline exposing his chest, the collar decorated with small Martell sigils. He walked with his back straight and his head held high, his face an unreadable mask.

Elaena could see her ladies-in-waiting practically going feral over Qyle, and for once she had to agree. Aliandra was two years her senior and Qyle one, making them all rather similar in age to Viserys's delight.

"Prince Qoren, it's a delight to have you here in the capital," Viserys called out, his voice booming across the room. Prince Qoren took his time before responding, letting his eyes slowly drag over the Targaryen family. 

"It's larger than I expected, and a lot plainer." He narrowed his eyes at Viserys before looking at the young princess standing beside him, her eyes wide in awe. "Though I must admit, the Red Keep is certainly something to behold."

The nobles watching from either side of the courtroom and the gallery above were so silent that if a pin fell it would sound like a dragon's roar.

"I imagine it is nothing compared to Sunspear, though I must admit I've never been." Viserys glanced at Lyonel, who very subtly shrugged his shoulders. "Allow me to introduce you to my family; this is my wife, Alicent." 

"It's a pleasure, Prince Qoren. I hope the Red Keep is to your liking, and should you need anything you need only to ask." She bowed her head, a small smile playing on her lips.

"This is my eldest daughter and my heir, Rhaenyra. With her is her husband, Ser Laenor." Viserys couldn't help but smile as he gestured to her. "And then there's Aegon, Helaena, and Aemond. My youngest son, Daeron, is in Oldtown." 

"A pleasure." Prince Qoren bowed his head.

"Then there are my grandchildren; Elaena, my sweet granddaughter, and my grandsons, Jacaerys and Lucerys." He turned to Elaena and gestured for her to speak. They had rehearsed many times the night before, making sure she spoke with the proper cadence and tone.