Chapter 2

I can hear the arguing coming from downstairs. I try covering my ears to block the noise but I can still hear it happening.

The sound of mam and dad shouting, arguing over money again. He doesn't even live with us, why is he here, can't he just disappear?

The sound of a sharp slap echoes into my bedroom through the paper thin walls. I wince at the sound. I know what it is, its Ashley hurting mam again, he's in one of his drunken states as usual.

I hear the front door slam shut suddenly. Thats when I hear the muffled whimpers coming from the front room. I cautiously peep round the door. Mam doesn't like me seeing dad like this or seeing her with the evidence of his previous actions lingering on her cheek.

She has her back to my door.

"Mammy, are you okay?" My voice cuts through the air making her sobs quickly end.

I know she's trying to compose her self so as not to make me worried but I'm not stupid. I can tell she's not okay.

I've always had mam to protect me, but who's mam got. Ashley's no good. ever since I was born the responsibility has supposedly been to much for him. Mams managed to be a single parent why can't he try to make an effort with me?

"Hey bubba go back to bed" comes Mams words laced with sadness. She doesn't deserve this but I do as I'm told to give her the space she needs. She doesn't want me to see her break. Shes meant to be strong for both of us.

I give her a hug and go back into my small bedroom the tears brim in the corner of my eyes. All Ashley wants is the money mam gets from the council to look after me. Hes greedy for when he has no right to any of that money and it will just get spent of alcohol and fags.

I remember the first time he hit me. A slap to my right cheek for being cheeky towards him. I was 8, he didn't care, he didn't regret it. He just told me it's what I deserve.

I remember mam being furious but she couldn't over power him. She applied cream to my cheek and whispered sweet thoughts into my ear to make me feel better then we settled down to watch corrie and to try and forget the previous happenings. I hate him so much. He controls most of my life.

---

I was 10 the last time I saw Ashley. He's tried to get in touch with me since Mam got famous but I've refused contact as I know it will end badly. He just wants money anyway he's not bothered about seeing me.

My thoughts are interrupted as Mam furiously beeps the horn at the cars infront.

"Bloody traffic, in going to be late for work at this rate." she rages.

I smile at her little tantrum.

"Oi, what you smiling at?" She asks.

"Oh just your short patience" I giggle back.

"Well I'm already 5 minutes late. we've only booked the studio for 2 hours today."

"What songs are you recording today?" I ask with interest.

"You know, this and that, album stuff" mam grins.

---

We arrive at the studio 20 minutes late. Mams rushing to the front of the studio.

"I've got 4 bloody songs to record and only 1 hour 40 minutes to do it in" she grumbles.

I just walk behind her leaving her to grumble on her own.