Chapter 1: A New World

Aki found himself standing in the middle of what looked like a rice field. He felt the water from the field seeping into the legs of his pants. It was currently night time. The young man observed his surroundings. There were more rice fields surrounding the one he was currently standing in, as well as a nice mountain. The most notable thing that he found was a small village. 

The village looked like a traditional Japanese village that Aki thought to be from the feudal ages of the country. But he was confused. Why would a Japanese-looking village exist in another world? The devil hunter moved himself out of the rice field and decided to visit the village. Perhaps he could ask the locals more about the world he was in.

After a few minutes of walking, Aki arrived at the village. He was very much convinced that this was a Japanese village after reading a sign on a building. It was written in kanji, which he could read. He began wondering about the world he was sent to. Was he sent to an alternate version of Japan?

After walking around the village for a few more minutes, he realized that there were no vehicles. There were no cars and motorcycles, but there were horse-drawn carts that carries various supplies. Aki was growing more suspicious of the world he was sent in. He theorized that he was sent back in time as the lack of automobiles and traditional Japanese aesthetic made it look like he was currently in the Edo Period. The lack of electric lighting in the village supported his theory.

From the position of the moon, Aki estimated that the current time was about 9 PM. Some of the houses in the village had their lights turned on. As the devil hunter walked through the village, he received stares from some of the locals. They were all wearing traditional Japanese clothing that made them look like feudal peasants. Was this just some rural village somewhere in the more isolated parts of Japan? Or was this actually a village from the past? He wouldn't know until he actually asked one of the locals. However, with the stares he was getting, he found it hard to approach anyone.

He heard whispers from among the villagers. They were wondering about the attire he was wearing as well as the weapon sheathed on his back. Aki heard them whispering about whether or not he was affiliated with the Yakuza, or if he was a tourist from Tokyo. The young man ignored the rumors about him and continued forward, reaching what looked like the village gate.

It was here when he was approached by what he could only assume was a guard. The guard looked quite young, probably in his early 20s. He had mid-back length red hair tied in a thick ponytail as well as purple eyes, and his most distinguishing feature is arguably the cross-shaped sword scar on his left cheek. He wore a shabby-looking kimono that had a red-like burgundy color, as well as a white umanori hakama, a pair of zōri sandals and white tabi socks.

 He wore a shabby-looking kimono that had a red-like burgundy color, as well as a white umanori hakama, a pair of zōri sandals and white tabi socks

Image Credit: SRRO on Twitter (Username: @srro_yo, Tweet URL: https://twitter.com/srro_yo/status/1281565132125020161)

Guard: Quite a crowd you've got behind you, sir, that you have. Are you a government official from Tokyo or something? Or maybe...