9 | Second Chances

Start from the beginning

"I never thought Little Miss Perfect would fail an exam," Billy said, as he walked past her. Isadora didn't respond but frowned at his back as he left the classroom before preparing herself for the lecture she knew she was about to get.

"Miss Jones, is everything okay? It's not like you to fail."

"Everything's fine," Isadora shrugged in response, not wanting to have to explain to her teacher how she had allowed herself to become completely and totally distracted by a boy. She knew how pathetic it would sound saying that she had failed an exam merely because she had been distracted by a boy, especially when that boy was Billy Hargrove.

"I also wanted to give you this. You and Mr Hargrove got the best mark in the class on this project and because of that, you will still pass this class, but I know you can do better than an F, Miss Jones, so try not to let it happen again," the teacher said before handing Isadora the project she had spent hours working on and Isadora smiled when she saw the A+ written on it.

"Thank you," Isadora nodded before leaving the room and hurrying down to the cafeteria, grabbing a chicken salad and a fruit salad before making her way over to join Hazel and Eddie at their normal lunch table.

"Is, do you eat anything other than salads?" Eddie asked, as Isadora sat down beside Hazel and opened her chicken salad.

"I got a fruit salad too," Isadora smiled proudly, as she held up the fruit salad she had grabbed.

"My point exactly. All I ever see you eat is salads and fruit salads. Do you ever eat anything else?" Eddie asked her.

"Of course I do. I eat Hazel's cooking all the time and I eat other things at home. I just — I like salads," Isadora shrugged as she popped a mouthful of her salad into her mouth and Eddie watched her before clicking his fingers together.

"What about brownies?"

"I don't know that Isa would have eaten the kind of brownies you like, babe," Hazel said.

"Yeah ... wait, what kind of brownies are we talking about here?" Isadora asked.

"I love you, Isa, but you live under a rock sometimes."

"I do not —" Isadora protested as Hazel raised an eyebrow at her.

"You literally just asked what kind of brownies we're talking about when I said you wouldn't like the kind of brownies he eats," Hazel said.

"What's going on?" Steve asked as he joined the group with Kendra.

"We were talking about whether Isa eats anything other than salads and fruit salads —"

"No, I'm pretty sure that's all she eats," Steve said.

"Anyway, Eddie asked if I eat brownies and Hazel doesn't believe I would have eaten the type of brownies Eddie likes," Isadora finished.

"And Isa asked what kind of brownies we're talking about," Hazel said, as she looked towards Isadora, who shrugged and smiled innocently.

"Come on, it's a valid question. What kind of brownies are we talking about here?"

"Wait, what kind of brownies are we talking about?" Steve asked. Kendra looked over at him and nudged him as Isadora gestured him.

"See! I'm not the only one wondering what kind of brownies we're talking about," Isadora said.

"They're talking about weed brownies, Isa," Kendra told her. Isadora's mouth fell open before she quickly closed it again.

"W-weed brownies? Why would anyone put weed in their brownies?" Isadora asked her friends.