Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

She wasn't entirely wrong. He had indeed taken out his frustrations on her in lieu of her earlier words. His most awaited hearing about Joydeep was tomorrow. And one of the papers for the case had been misplaced by his intern.

Anirudh was preparing that paper again himself to avoid problems tomorrow. He was in the middle of it, when Bondita had entered the study with his glass of milk at night.

"Bondita, please leave me alone for sometime. I really need to focus on my case for tomorrow. And right now, I am not in the mindset for any sweet conversation with you...."He tried to be as gentle as he could this time with his words.

He didn't want to have a row with her. But at this moment, his years old anger was making a comeback.

It was somehow triggered by her listening to the old fish wife's tales from their neighbours. Their words were reminding him of the past. Where, he was a joke for their amusement. His life had became a topic of discussion for their tea time conversations.

He didn't want Bondita to get influenced by them. But, he didn't realise that his way of telling her was wrong.

"I am leaving but remember to finish up the glass of milk. Don't treat the food the same way, you treated me just now...you know, since they can't express their feelings in front of you like I can...."-Bondita didn't look back for a second as she left the study.

Her sharp words becoming a wake up call for Anirudh. It was a call for him to come out of his past. To not let the words of the past be a deciding factor of his present life.

He was wrong to force his decisions on Bondita about her belief on the marital signs that she was proudly wearing. It wasn't as if he hated the signs. But now a days, her obsession with his well-being and her rising feelings made him feel scared for the future.

He didn't want her to doubt their marriage, when Somnath came back. He knew that a drama would commence the moment he stepped foot in the haveli.

But the scariest for him was Bondita's reaction to Somnath's eventual return. Would she regret being his wife?

Will she crave for a younger husband?

Someone who was closer to her age.

Would she find it boring to be with a divorcee, who carried too many allegations on his soul. Allegations that had scarred him deeply.

"I'll tell her sorry tomorrow....I'll not talk with her right now... both of our tempers will clash with each other right now."-Anirudh consoled his heart with a ruthless attitude and focused on finishing up the paper in his typewriter.

Today after a long time, his dominant lawyer personality had come out in the open. And this personality only prioritised work.

"Boka patibabu....amake bina karone boke shudhu. Ekbar case ta sesh hok tarpor ami unake moja dekhabo...(Stupid patibabu, always scolding me without any reason. Once this case finishes up, I'll show him...)"-She puffed her cheeks in annoyance over his words. But the next second, she de-puffed her cheeks as she remembered that now she was an adult. It's unbecoming of her to do so...

The two didn't speak a bit for the whole night. Anirudh had remained in the study to finish the papers and Bondita had slept due to tiredness.

Both of them were upset at each other but still ready to give each other space to fulfill their work individually.

That was the beauty of their relationship.

"Barrister Anirudh, are you okay? Or have you got scared to fight against me?"-Anirudh rubbed his temple in frustration as he came face to face with the opposition lawyer Bartholomew Gomez.