Chapter 12

NICU Day 30: Amanda and Diana are Thirty Days Old... This morning was different for everyone. Today is Robert's first shift back, and Andy's first day driving in over three and a half months. Then, Kaylee and Kylie are taking care of the girls today.

This morning, Robert and Andy woke up around 6:45 in the morning. They showered and ate breakfast together, and Robert left around 7:30 in the morning. When he left, Andy packed her stuff up and left around eight in the morning. She drove the extra vehicle (Honda: CR-V) this morning.

When she started to drive, it felt weird driving and not having Robert by her side. Plus walking into the NICU without him. When she got upstairs, Kaylee was waiting for her. Conversation... Kaylee: How are you this morning? Andy: It felt weird driving and leaving without him. Plus walking in here without him. Kaylee: I'm sorry. Andy: It's okay. I have my girls to distract me. When I was admitted for all those weeks, I'd go 24 hours without seeing him, and just have Lucas for around 10 hours on every shift day. Kaylee: At least you had someone. Andy: I guess. (They do the girl's checks, and Andy feeds them. Amanda doesn't like to latch, and would rather have the bottle. That made Andy sad.) Andy: Why does she prefer the bottle? Kaylee: I don't know, but some babies do. (They all hang out, and around nine-thirty, Dr. Lori and Dr. Stein stopped by.) Dr. Lori: Morning, everyone. This is Dr. Stein from Neurology. Dr. Stein: Hi, guys. So, the girls were born around 31 weeks, right? Andy: Yes. Dr. Stein: Being born over thirty weeks reduces the chance of a brain bleed. However, there's still a chance that there would have been symptoms. So, I'm going to get a brain CT and ultrasound, and I'll do an exam.

Andy: What are you looking for exactly? Dr. Stein: Brain damage, and other things. I'll know more after a neurological exam from each of them. Andy: Okay. (Dr. Stein does an exam.) Dr. Stein: They are very responsive, and that's very good. I'm still going to get an ultrasound and CT, but the exam is good. I'll give you the results either this evening or tomorrow morning. Andy: Thank you, Dr. Stein. Dr. Stein: You're welcome. (Dr. Stein leaves.) Dr. Lori: How are you doing, Andy? Andy: It's weird not having Robert with me. Dr. Lori: I know. I haven't seen him here in four weeks. Andy: Yeah. Dr. Lori: How are the girls? Kaylee: We can turn down the oxygen for Amanda, and Diana is on the lowest settings. She only has two more settings before she's weaned off. Dr. Lori: Okay. (Dr. Lori listens to Amanda and Diana.) Dr. Lori: Let's keep Diana's the same, and Amanda can go down one. Kaylee: Okay. Are we still good to start the transition? Dr. Lori: Yes, we are. Let's keep the lid up all day. Kaylee: Okay. Dr. Lori: How's breastfeeding going? Andy: Diana likes breastfeeding, but Amanda prefers the bottle. Why is that? Dr. Lori: I don't know. I'll have a lactation consultant stop by to see if we can try to figure it out. Andy: Thank you.

Dr. Lori: Is there anything else you can think of? Andy: I don't think so. Dr. Lori: The plan is to start the transition, a CT and ultrasound on the girl's brain, and see a lactation consultant. Does that work for everyone? Andy: It does. Dr. Lori: Okay. You'll get through this momma. Andy: Thank you for that. (Dr. Lori leaves, and Kaylee talks to her outside.) Kaylee: How do overnight visits sound? Dr. Lori: Pretty well. The girls are both feeding, so, she should be able to stay overnight. Kaylee: Thank you. (After they talk, Andy gets a phone call from Robert.) Robert: I miss my girls. How are they? Andy: They're just fine. Robert: What'd the doctors say this morning? Andy: They have great neurological exams, which is amazing. They're going to check on their brain via a CT and ultrasound. Dr. Lori said we could start the transition, and Amanda's gone down on her oxygen. Robert: That's good. Andy: How's it being back? Robert: It sucks. I want to see my little girls. Andy: Take the ambulance, and stop by soon. Vic probably misses the girls as well. Robert: Okay. I love you. Andy: I love you too. Robert: Hug and kiss my girls for me. Andy: I will. (They talk for a couple of minutes. After they get off the phone, she sends him pictures of the girls. Around eleven in the morning, Lucas shows up.) Andy: What are you doing here? Lucas: I'm being your NICU buddy. I have a meeting that I will have to leave for though at three this afternoon. Andy: Okay.