Chapter Two

"I'm home!" Fukase called out after opening the door and kicking off his shoes.

"Welcome back!" Cul called from the kitchen as Fukase made his way upstairs. He dropped his bag off in his room before running back down to bother his older sister.

"Hey, Cul. What are you doing?" Fukase asked her.

She kept her head down, focused on her textbook and an assortment of notes sprawled out on the dining table. "What does it look like?"

Fukase tsked. "Well, you don't have to be rude about it. It's not my fault you got a ton of homework in the second week."

"Ugh, don't remind me. Just let me do my unbearable amount of homework in peace."

"Fine, whatever. I'll go bother Arsloid instead. At least he actually likes me."

"Have fun." Cul waved Fukase away, looking down at her homework again.

Fukase wandered out of the kitchen and up the steps, ending up at his older brother's room. Like Fukase, Arsloid also preferred to study in the seclusion of his own room. Cul preferred the natural light that streamed in through the kitchen windows, so she studied downstairs. Fukase hated how her textbooks cluttered and dampened the dining room's mood, but of course, Cul never paid attention to his complaints.

Fukase knocked on his brother's door and opened it upon hearing a "Come in."

"Hey, Arsloid," Fukase greeted.

"Hey, Fukase. Is there something you need?"

"Cul's being mean to me."

"Cul's mean to everyone," Arsloid deadpanned before looking back to his notes again.

Fukase heaved an exaggerated sigh. "You're no help, either. I'm gonna go play video games."

"Enjoy it while you can," Arsloid tossed back as Fukase left his room.

As promised, Fukase slumped down in front of his laptop, fully ready to load up one of his favorite games, but something caught his eye.

His class group chat from the previous year was blowing up. Apparently they too couldn't stop talking about the new kid.

"Ugh, seriously, why does he follow me everywhere?" Fukase mumbled, and quickly closed the application. He had meant to leave that group chat months ago, but Flower had begged him to stay for the "juicy gossip" or whatever she calls it.

Fukase tried to get back to his game, but after reading some of those messages, he couldn't seem to get that new kid out of his mind.

Oh, fine.

He finally gave in and reopened the SMS app and backread a bit to see what his ex-classmates were saying.

"I heard that he came all the way from London!"

"What's his name again?"

"Oliver, I think."

"Never heard of it."

"Must be common overseas wwww"

"But like... he's kinda weird, right? I saw him walking home all alone once. I don't think he lives nearby, either."

"Really?"

"Isn't that kind of weird?"

"Does he not have any friends?"

"I mean, he just got here yesterday, so I'd assume not."

"You're not thinking of talking to him, right?"