Chapter 4

DAMON'S POV

"And of course I broke into the Oval Office and took a picture of myself at the window, looking all JFK. But then, I was like, 'wait, how am I gonna develop these photos'?"

"Oh my god." I sigh, interrupting Kai who is still tied up in the living room. "Just answer the damn question. How are we going to get out of this twilight zone?" I ask from the couch.

"I gotta question for you first. Why do you think we're stuck on a repeating loop of May 10, 1994?" He asks me, and I have no idea. "Doomed to relive a solar eclipse forever and ever and ever."

"How the hell should I know?" I take a sip of bourbon.

"Well, I heard you tell Bonnie this place was your own personal hell. I'm kinda curious why." He says as Bonnie walks into the room.

"I found everything you asked for. Can opener, shower drain, grinding wheel, jam, pocket knife, volume 'O' of the encyclopedia, a nail, and a black marker." She tells Kai. "Now what?"

"Can't show you with my hands tied." He smirks.

"Bonnie." I warn as she grabs the pocket knife and walks over to him.

"Thank you." Kai smiles as Bonnie cuts the rope.

"Okay fine. How is this pile of junk going to get us out of here?" I ask angrily.

"I'll explain as soon as you tell me what you did on May 10, 1994." He tells me.

"What difference does it make?" I ask in frustration.

"Let me put it this way. Bonnie magic is one part of the equation. My undisclosed knowledge is the other. Which means you would be hitching a ride home for free. I just want to know if you deserve to come along." He explains.

I storm over to Bonnie, grab the knife from her hand and press it to Kai's throat.

"Or I could just torture you until you say something useful." I growl.

"If you torture me, I'll get mad, and then I won't wanna help you." He says before looking at Bonnie. "What kind of person needs to have that explained to them?"

Bonnie sighs and reaches over, taking the knife from my hand. I shake my head and release Kai from my grip as he laughs.

"Play nice." Bonnie tells both of us.

"Stop trying to impress the new guy." I tell her.

"Why don't you just tell him your story?" Bonnie asks me.

"Maybe because I don't want to talk about the worst thing I ever did, Bonnie." I snap.

"Oh, now I'm listening." Kai smiles as he opens the jar of jam that Bonnie brought and starts eating it.

***flashback 1994***

I ring the doorbell to the boarding house and Stefan answers, looking confused.

"Ready for some bad news?" I ask him, holding up a newspaper.

I go to take a step inside, but Stefan blocks my path. What the hell is his problem?

"Barely seem you in fifty years, Stefan. You could invite a brother in." I suggest.

"Give me one good reason why." He spits.

"Check your answering machine. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf." I smirk.

"Oh, I heard your message. I also heard you sent Lexi some flowers seventeen years after you left her to burn to death on a rooftop."