Chapter 15

DAMON'S POV

Liz passed away last night.

She fell asleep, and I wasn't able to wake her up. I took her straight to the hospital, but it was too late. She passed away, and Caroline wasn't there.

Caroline did show up and was able to give her a mom a dream to help her pass peacefully, but it was rough.

Ashley's okay...I guess.

I haven't really talked to her because of everything that happened with Liz. She knows how much it hurts me so we haven't really said much to each other.

Everyone slept in my living room last night to be here for Caroline. Stefan, Elena, Ashley, Matt, and even Tyler.

I haven't slept at all. I'm sitting in my kitchen trying to write this damn eulogy, but it's not going well at all.

The door creaks open behind me, and I turn my head to see Caroline walking in. I groan in frustration and crumple up another piece of paper before throwing it into the fireplace.

"Sorry...just getting some water." Caroline says softly.

"Help yourself."

"So, what are you not writing?" She asks as she grabs a glass and starts filling it.

"Would you believe that your mother entrusted me to eulogize her?" I say, rolling my eyes.

"That's nice...I guess." Caroline sighs.

"I think she's trying to teach me a lesson about my own mom. I was supposed to do the eulogy at her funeral, and I just-"

"We don't have to share." She cuts me off gently.

"Right." I nod, understanding that she's not in the mood.

"I just mean today is pretty much gonna be the worst day of my life. I'm not sure that I need to start it off by bonding with you. No offense."

"None taken." I shake my head.

"Great." She gives a tiny smile. "Thanks for the water."

"Hey, blondie." I call her back before she leaves the kitchen. "Today isn't the worst day of you life. Today and tomorrow are gonna be cakewalks. And there will be people day in and day out like they're afraid to leave you alone. The worst day? That's next week, when there's nothing but quiet."

"Appreciate the tip." She says sarcastically as she walks back into the living.

"Just thought you should know." I say to myself.

It's not gonna be easy. It's only gonna get worse from here. I don't think she's truly prepared for that.

ASHLEY'S POV

***flashback***

"You are, what is called, a pureblood hybrid." Elijah explains to me. "This means that you have vampire blood and werewolf blood in your veins. Your specific blood in extremely rare and not completely necessary in breaking Klaus' curse."

"Not completely necessary?" I ask, still not able to process all of this.

"Yes. Klaus could break the curse and become a full fledged hybrid without you, but with you, he can, not only become a hybrid, but he can also sire an entire line of hybrids."

"So, he wants me?"

"Very much so. Klaus' entire reasoning for wanting to break the curse is to create a superior species. The opportunity has not been available since 1864 in Mystic Falls, a girl by the name of Elizabeth Scott."