She was quiet for a moment, her eyes widening as if she couldn't believe what she was hearing her cheeks then turned bright red. "I-I like you too your majesty." She responded slowly with her usual warm smile which I'd come to like."If you'll have me, I would be honored to stay here with you." she continued. In that moment a breeze blew past us and the flowers from the trees around us came off, following in the winds direction. As if signaling the start of something new.

From then on Samara and I began to publicly do things together. We would have meals, go for walks around the castle during my breaks from work, horse riding etc. I even had her moved out of the suite she had been staying with father and moved into the concubines quarters which were located near the Kings' wing. I did this at her request though. Whilst I had already planned to have her moved into them once her father left, she told me it was too difficult to stay with him since she still wasn't on speaking terms so I allowed it.

And as expected, all eyes were on us. Everyone in the castle, from servants to officials alike would silently stare at us clearly surprised by the sudden turn of events. I ignored them and told Samara to do the same. Having made my decision I would now protect Samara from the publicity. Next I would have to deal with those that were possibly going to confront me about my relationship.

First was Duke Remdon. When we met for the continual handling of his case he appeared slightly uncomfortable but he didn't say anything. I suppose he was too afraid to quetion me. Samara had shared with me that he disapproved of our relationship and wanted her to refuse my offer and go back home with him.

Which confused me, I understood he may have been upset that we were meeting in secret but at the end of the day wouldn't you be happy if your daughter was chosen by the King? Regardless, I wasn't forcing Samara to stay with me, I gave her a choice...and she chose me. So as long as Samara wanted, I would protect her from her Father.

The next person was Duke Daeil. He came to my office everyday to assisst me with my work. It was after about a week of Samara and I meeting publicly that he popped the question as we were finishing off for the day.

"Your majesty," Duke Daeil started as he cleared away some paper work on his work desk that was in my office. "Many in the castle have taken notice of the time you've been spending with Duke Remdons' daughter. " Duke Daeil was the closest to me in the castle, he was my secretary after all, so he was the probably the most comfortable out of my council to ask me about it. I'm sure the other officials egged him on to ask me as well.

"Is that so?" I asked in an uninterested tone as I looked over a document seated at my desk. "And what of it?" I further inquired not looking up from it.

Duke Daeil seemed taken aback by my response. "Nothing your majesty, however, don't you think this is rather sudden?"

" Am I not allowed to have a lover?" I further asked looking up at him now.

"Yes, of course you are your majesty I'm not questioning what you are allowed to do, I'm simply asking if you're sure about this. The gossip surrounding Duke Remdons' family isn't partcularly flattering at the moment. Many are concerned about her intentions..." He trailed off finished organizing files before straigthening himself up and looking at me. "Then there's the issue of you taking in a lover when you don't have an heir. The Queen Dowager will likely....."

"I am prepared to handle it." I then firmly interjected to Duke Daeil.

I was well aware of all the concerns some, especially my mother, would have with my relationship Samara. A king typically took in an official lover or lovers after he had produced an heir. The idea was so that the children of the Queen and the mistress wouldn't compete for the throne. Whilst preference was already given to the Queens' children it was just a precaution as some Kings had lovers before they married their crown princess. In my case I had already given Samara an official title as a lover by allowing her to stay in the concubines quarters before I had an heir.

"I understand peoples concerns, however, I will still fulfill my duties. I still plan to have an heir with the Queen." I reassured him sternly.

Duke Daeil was quiet for a moment as he contemplated how he should respond. "Then I have nothing to worry about, please excuse my directness your grace." Was all he said in the end.

"It's alright." I simply answered. He came round his table and bowed to me before he retreated to the exit. I know Duke Daeil only meant well when he asked as my secretary he was also meant to advise me.

When he mentioned Samara's intentions, he was implying that Samara was just using me to get out of her families situation. Whether that was true or not didn't matter to me. I chose to save her from her situation as well. And at the end of the day I was the one who held the power in our relationship. If any problems arose I would just simply let her go. For now she was making me happy and so I wanted to enjoy that.

Then next person to voice their concerns was my mother who came to my office two days after Duke Daeil. It was the middle of the day when she came in unannounced to my office.

"Have you lost your mind!?" She yelled at me as a servant pushed her towards me in the wheelchair I had given her.

"Mother, how are you? I'm happy to see the wheelchair I gave you is working fine." I greeted ignoring her outburst.

"Dont you dare greet me as if you're happy to see me knowing full well you've been ignoring my requests to see you all week."

"Sorry mother I've just been busy." I lied to her.

"Yet you've had no problems making time to see your lover." she seethed out.

I didn't answer her only gave her an uninterested stare.

"Do you want to see Tanhya suffer? Do you want to you want to see her break? Do you really hate her to that extent?" She asked with a pained expression on her face.

I wanted to roll my eyes. "Mother don't be dramatic every King has had lovers, even father."

"Yes, but they were brought after the heir to the throne was born."

"And I still plan to have a child with Tanhya."

"Do you not understand how this will make her look? Everyone is going to be talking about her. "

"Mother they were going to talk regardless, people talked about you as well whenever Father moved around with his mistress. This isn't any different. I'll still have a child with her. In fact, if you want, I can get right to it when she returns."

She shook her head disapprovingly as she clicked her tongue. "Does it bring you joy to embarass her?"

"It doesn't 'bring' me anything because it's not my intention." I simply answered. My mother furious right now however I remained calm, I wasn't going to argue with her. "I've made my decision mother, I'm going to continue seeing her." I told her matter-of-factly. I then stood up from my desk and went round stood close to her near the desks edge. "There's nothing you can say or do that will make me change my mind."

My mother stared right into my eyes and looked like she was about to hurl another onslaught of insults at me, but then decided against it. Her expression then went from one of anger to one of defeat. "Why? Why are you so difficult?" she asked in an exhausted tone. However, it didn't seem like she was talking to me directly, it was more of a question to herself.

"Now then if you'll excuse me, I have a meeting with the council." I said as I walked away from her and went towards the door. My mother didn't try to call me back. As I walked aout the door a feeling of relief came over me.

I guess you could say I was inspired. Samara had stood up to her father and told him she wasn't going to sit around and follow what he said anymore. Like Samara I was tired of feeling held back by my parents and always doing what they wanted I wanted to do somehting of my own for once. My mother hated already as it is, what was having a lover going to change?

With my mother dealt with the next person was Tanhya. How would she react when she returned in the following weeks...

***********