The Sun Don't Shine.

Start from the beginning

However, on one particularly warm Boston night, Zara receives a message from Marlene that changes everything. According to her old friend, they had found a fourteen year old girl immune to Cordyceps, and with that girl, Marlene believed they could finally craft the cure to the virus. Immediately, Zara's heart had flourished. Finally, a cure? It was practically unbelievable, but Zara had found herself believing it anyway. Thus, Zara decides to finally embrace her humanity and agrees to help Marlene with the task of Ellie Williams; whatever the outcome, and whatever the consequences. Zara Jones will see the sun shine again. Whatever it takes.

Zara and her two kids would endure and survive, for the fate of the world rested upon their shoulders. They would get Ellie to the destination promised, and then they would do whatever it takes to make sure the vaccine's curing reached all the world. They would do good. However, when an oddly familiar, icy, cold, and brutal smugger enters the picture, Zara finds herself challenged. Joel Miller is not a man of goodwill, and when he joins their entourage immediately they disagree on about everything. Although, the two eventually suck it up and find themselves falling into a fatal connection that would be the be all end all. Zara finds herself questioning her long-standing morals, Joel learns to live again, and through each other, they experience a new passion neither have known for decades. However, everything good must come to an end, and that is a fact Zara Jones has not accepted yet, and it would be her downfall into the pits of despair she has been avoiding for years.

Eventually, Zara Jones is left with a new choice: allow the sun to shine for everyone else, or just for herself.

  KADE JONES LIVES IN THE SHADE. Hidden from the light, and far from the blinding sun is where she resides. The shadows are where she thrives; in the dark, crevices and the overwhelming darkness of the night. The shade is Kade's comfort; an old, dusty blanket she wraps around herself to protect against the horrors of the world. It is her fortress, despite the protests of Zara and Karson. And it will always be.

  Thievery, conning, and smuggling is how she spends her days, jumping from rooftop to rooftop of Boston's ruined buildings. With a stolen knife stuffed in a pocket that rested on her right leg (One that Zara very much disapproved of.), her training in martial arts by Zara (Which was done very reluctantly.) and her daring and cunning, she was able to make quite the buck amongst the chaos of Boston; even managing to con a decently working laptop for Karson for his stupid tech crap he believes can change the world. Even though Zara would never admit it, the funds Kade brings to the table are crucial to their survival, and even though Zara scolds her each time she returns from her outings, the money is still accepted.

In this hardship-ruled world, Kade believes survival is the only thing that matters (Other than Zara and Karson, but she'd never say that aloud.). Everything else is a waste of time, and time itself isn't even promised. So, why not steal? What moral high ground do they really have that makes it so terrible to harm them? What worth to they bring to the table? Nothing, is the way Kade sees it. Everyone is on the same level of horrible. Everyone has committed atrocities in this life. No one is good.

  However, when Zara decides to up and leave on some stupid hero quest for The Fireflies, Kade and her older brother are forced to accompany her, uprooting Kade's life and pulling her out of the shade and right into the sun. Kade is forced on a mission that confronts all of her. Her past demons, her beliefs, her abilities, and her capacity to love.