MAX

The next thing I know I'm in the principals office. Jane and her parents are waiting in the main office.

"Maxine its your first day here and you've already caused trouble. I'm starting to think us considering you for a student was a mistake. Why did you injure Angela Winters? " Principal Carrie asked

I look down at my shoes wondering if anything I said could save me from a severe punishment. My leg bouncing. My laces suddenly become the most interesting thing in the world.

" I guess I just felt responsible. I made Jane cry earlier and I knew that I couldn't rely on teachers to help her. I just wanted Jane to know that people cared" I said shrugging my shoulders.

I wasn't lying I was just omitting certain details. My whole life I've been picking up after adults who failed to do what they were supposed to. At home I raised myself basically. At school I knew teachers didn't care about bullying or even if I wanted to hurt myself. I knew if someone was going to help Jane it was going to have to be me. If anything they should be thanking me. I'm doing their job for free.

" I understand how difficult and guilty you must feel. But what happened to Jane wasn't your fault. And that's not the appropriate response. We have teachers for a reason" Principal Carrie moaned on about the need for discipline and how I need to be watched over to make sure I don't act out again given my history.

I didn't even fight Angela. I just threw a backpack at her. And pulled Jane out of the way.

" You're right. Should have gone to a teacher. It's just given my history of experiencing abuse in school I don't really trust teachers. My trauma prevented me from seeing the appropriate course of action." I say knowingly being manipulative but I unfortunately didn't have to lie. I had experienced abuse in school. Mostly by the teachers.

My WRATH T-shirt underneath my sweater was the only thing calming me down in that moment.

" Maxine. You understand that consequences must be applied to prevent such behavior. As a responsible principal I can't let this go unpunished. So three weeks detention. Including Saturdays. And Nancy will escort you from class to class. Do you understand"

I nodded my head. Not even bothering to correct the principal on calling me Max not Maxine. Clearly I was just a problem child to him. An object and a disappointment. I accepted the punishment. I wasn't in the mood to argue.