15. Rev. Log Stab

Depuis le début

"Danny, it's okay. You're keeping a big secret and have done one hell of a job protecting us. But that's not your job. You're my kid brother, and employee, so I should protect you. Besides, Shawn is a decent man. If he was of any threat to Dirge or Requiem, I trust you would have told me immediately. Because you didn't, it speaks to Shawn's character. I respect that." Miles explained calmly.

"But... Aura is interested in Dirge."

"That's true. Aura is interested in Dirge, not just Requiem. It's... refreshing." Miles laughed.

"Are you thinking of selling Dirge?"

Miles fell silent for a moment. "Would you be disappointed if I did?"

"It's your company," Danny said with a shrug. "I just like working with the guys, so I hope to be still involved somehow."

"Aura has been the company that has offered the most interesting opportunity. If I give in, I can probably negotiate to protect my DJs while still being involved with the company."

"And you can focus on your own music," Danny added.

A smile bloomed on Miles' face. "Right. And then I can focus on my music." He stretched and stood from his chair. He grabbed the glasses and placed them in the dishwasher. "Still, selling is a big decision, and it won't happen soon unless something drastic happens."

Danny nodded and got up but stopped before he walked away. "You and Shawn knew each other before today, right?"

"That's right."

"Is it because of Dirge?"

Miles was quiet for a moment. "Yes and no."

Danny observed him, trying to understand the emotions hidden behind his eyes. "You were right when you said he is a decent guy. He's always been supportive of Court and kind to me."

"I figured as much," Miles said, leaning against the island. He absentmindedly pulled out the business card from his pocket. Shawn's cell number was written on the back of it, and Miles smiled, knowing it was the same for the last 12 years.

"I was hesitant when Courtney and Rob mentioned wanting to set you two up."

Miles nearly dropped the card from his hand as he remembered Rob saying something along those lines before Shawn came over. 

"Wait. With Shawn?" The question slipped out, and Miles immediately felt like an idiot for asking the obvious.

"Yeah. They thought that you two would get along."

"Really?" Miles hoped he didn't sound desperate. 

"... yeah." Danny gave him a curious look. "I get the reservations you may have because of rival companies and all—"

"That's cute, but Aura is on a completely different level."

Danny rolled his eyes. "All I'm saying is that you two seemed to get along."

"We had a good conversation tonight," Miles said while leaving out the kiss on his cheek. "But I wouldn't hold my breath."

He hated admitting it, but he believed expecting the worst was best. He didn't want to get his hopes up if there was no future.

"Whatever. You need to go on a date. Get out, get laid."

Miles jolted up with wide eyes. "We are so not having this discussion! You're a kid, for fuck's sake!"

"Technically, I'm an adult." Danny huffed.

"Nope. No. Never. We are so not talking about this ever again." Miles covered his ears with a shake of his head.