Chapter Four

On the occasions that their clients were too freaked out to be seen sealing a deal, he and Kibum would meet them in all types of places. A shady inn, a dark alley, or a rented house, and they didn't care. Some important clients though didn't care, and those who merely didn't wish to taint their hands with blood, would invite them to big houses and mansions, like the one Taemin is attending the winter party at tonight, so he isn't fazed much about the sheer size of the building along with scattered guards and rich guests that keep swarming the gardens. He's been checked for weapons, and he has none with him tonight. The invitation has no name on it, so he can easily throw a fake smile as he hands the envelope, and then he's met with the expensive smell of champagne and exquisite taste of music as the sound of harp catches his attention first thing.

He accepts a drink when he's offered one, and focuses to keep his eyes open and darting around him. The guests don't seem to be having anything on their minds other than the fact that they're here to have a good time, and he leans on a pillar next to the staircase for long enough, barely taking a sip out of his drink and politely refusing dance invitations from whoever is approaching him. When his drink is finished, a sigh of relief is finally released from his lips as he feels a figure slowly approaching his side, taking a pause once he's close enough, and Taemin quickly slips his hands around his waist to snatch his own guns, retreating them inside his coat and locking them into their usual place. Only now that he feels that he's able to breathe.

"Took you long enough," he mumbles, and then Minho is turning to look at him with an annoyed expression. He knows that it's not an easy task to get past the walls of the mansion while he's shifted as a wolf, nor is it easy to walk around in those tight fancy clothes that Taemin hand picked for him without being noticed. He's good at what he does though, good enough that Taemin wasn't able to pin him down on any occasion, only when the werewolf has shown himself fully to him. Minho's hair is swept backwards, and Taemin was right in his choices, feeling proud that he's made him look more of a nobleman than he's used to, he just needs to act the part now, and he knows how good of an actor Minho can be. Their position allows them to spot new guests coming into the mansion, and he's thankful for Minho's larger figure than himself that he's able to turn just slightly in order not to be seen. Entering with a wide smile on her face, dressed in yet another white fur coat, is none other than Jessica, and he sees the man who originally invited Minho here approaching her as soon as she's inside. Minho is silent by his side, gaze following the two, and Taemin knows by their mere whispers and glances that there's something more to just a typical welcome. "Distract him," Taemin leans closer to Minho to whisper before he's turning on his heels and putting his foot on the first step of the stairs. "And make it long enough," he throws over his shoulder, ignoring Minho's harsh glare at his back.

One thing that he's learned about big mansions during his short trips to his clients, is that eventually, you'll find a door connected to that same room you've entered from another, so he keeps his feet light and fast until he finds another staircase and waits behind a wall. He sees Jessica's hand on the door handle, not even bothering to glance behind her where Minho had successfully shown his face with a practiced smirk and a hand over the man's back, and Taemin manages to slip between them, pushing the door open and closing it behind himself, waiting for Jessica to turn and watching her confused expression. He tries to maintain a neutral one.

"Taemin," she calls his name slowly as she looks over his attire. "What are you doing here?"

"I had a mission to complete, remember?"

"Oh," she exhales and fixes her hair. "Right." She offers a smile then. "And how's it going so far?"

"Done," he smiles wider at her, pulling at the chain around his neck so that it slides from beneath his waistcoat until the tooth dangles in the air, and Jessica's eyes follow it, taking slow steps towards him. "A bit of trouble," he clicks his tongue. "But Kwon was right," he tucks the chain inside again, and her eyes trail up to meet his. "I owe you my thanks, I guess. For our meeting." And Jessica smiles and nods at him once. "What are you doing here?"